PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new tankmate - Electric Blue Acara & Angelfish

brian313313
01-10-2016, 09:59 PM
I've just ordered a 125 gallon aquarium (60") and am going to move my 4 Electric Blue Acaras & 2 Angelfish there. I would also like to add a fish or two that will be a little larger but not too aggressive. I've had these guys for 2-3 years and there's never been any aggression in the tank. I'd like to keep it that way. (Aggression towards live food excluded.) Ideal size would probably be about 8" when fully grown. The Acaras are only about 4" and the angels 3". I can get rid of the Angels if necessary but not the Acaras. Looking for ideas on cichlids that would work with this.

Thanks.

-Brian

mountainman36
01-10-2016, 10:45 PM
you may find this a difficult one.. the angelfish dont bother the acaras and vice versa because they arent occupying the same territory....most other cichlids will be in the acaras area or the angelfish...festivums may work, but the angelfish may get grumpy. acaras wont bother them because they are at the surface mostly.

Some of the dwarf laetcaras may work - curviceps or dorsingers. but the blue araras may get grumpy at them....apistos would get out competed.

Anything that can hold its own may be too much for the acaras - severums and many central americans.....

tough one.

Dither fishes like rainbows and bala sharks or congo tetras would be ok, but may stress the angels...some tetras would be ok...but you asked for cichlids....

peathenster
01-10-2016, 11:04 PM
Uaru? Chocolate?

Demonfish
01-10-2016, 11:25 PM
I'd look at 2" apistos. The little ones with take little caves the acara don't care about and they can hold there own and clean up little pieces of food without bullying the bigger fish. But you will have aggression once any cichlid gets to breeding size and pairs up. The key is to choose cichlids whose territories are smaller than your tank. The S. Americans do a good job of sorting themselves out, but avoid more aggressive Central Americans. You still have some room. Agree that emperor or congo tetra look great in a big tank. Maybe some geophagus. You could likely also do a dwarf pike cichlid, they are aggressive toward each other, live food and fish that fit in their mouths, but not toward large slow fish. They could thrive if you often feed live worms.

brian313313
01-11-2016, 03:00 PM
I may also consider just leaving the Acaras in the 55 and starting fresh with the 125. I had Brazilian tetras in with them originally but I didn't like it so well. The tetras were so fast they were eating most of the food. I was having to overfeed so that everyone got some food. I'll look into some of the non-cichlid options as well. I'm not very familiar with many of them.

peathenster
01-11-2016, 08:53 PM
Uh, you said 8" fish?

Non-cichlids...flagtails? Active and cleans your tank.

Demonfish
01-11-2016, 11:32 PM
Biotodoma cupido these were the least aggressive cichlids I've ever kept

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=425