PDA

View Full Version : How Much Head Room Over a Tank? Do Large Tanks Need Cross Cables?

Samong
01-11-2016, 06:09 PM
Just that; about how many inches do you feel you need over a 40b freshwater aquarium in order to have adequate room for equipment and reach? I have to stack all my projects due to limited floor space and don't want to shoot myself in the foot by realizing all too late that I didn't give myself enough room.

Also my current 75g stand was built by its previous owner using a pair of crossed heavy cables+bolts at the back for strength; do you feel this makes any real load difference? I'm putting a new stand plan to paper because while it holds the tank level and has supported the tank for many MANY years, I do not care at all for the amount of twist the old stand has. My current idea is to overbuild using this plan: http://neptunesneighborhood.com/stand.html

mountainman36
01-11-2016, 06:32 PM
that stand is very similar to the one my father and i built 20 years ago....still in use today for a 90 gallon.

As for head room, your head would be good...seriously. i have less than my head room on a few of my racks and i cans see inside the tank....just thru the glass which isnt always enough....id say 10-12 inches minimum

awflip
01-11-2016, 06:35 PM
I have only ever set up one tank stand that I helped my dad build, so take my advice with a grain of salt!

First, my dad designed the stand and I helped him assemble, sand, and paint it, so I couldn't help much with the actual construction.

I have 12" above a 20 long and 10 (they're next to each other), and it is plenty for moving plants or catching fish, and also maintenance. I use an aqueon gravel vacuum I bought from petco, it is rated for 50 gallons (I think). The gravel vacuum part is about 10-12" and I have no trouble at all getting in and out of the tanks. I think I could make do with 8", or maybe even 6" for standard maintenance, but I don't have to reach very far back; you will have to reach another ~6" farther back than I do. If I were you, I would do no less than 8". Plus you need to consider your lights, which you could probably build into the stand, or put some pegs to rest the lights on?

However, if you can't reach behind the stand, remember all of your equipment will need to fit through that gap.. including an HOB (if you are using one). Its pretty difficult to get my Fluval C4 HOB off my 20 long through my 1' gap. Doable, but I think if I had 1" or 2" less space I wouldn't be able to make it.

I definitely think the stand you are looking at could support a 40b, and if you adapted that design to have multiple tiers (I'm imagining a few 40B's on top of one another) I definitely think it would hold, provided you built it well! Multiple screws and wood glue in each joint should be fine; the stand I have has significantly less wood than the one you are looking at building. I can provide some pictures if you're interested.

edit:

that stand is very similar to the one my father and i built 20 years ago....still in use today for a 90 gallon.

As for head room, your head would be good...seriously. i have less than my head room on a few of my racks and i cans see inside the tank....just thru the glass which isnt always enough....id say 10-12 inches minimum

This is a great point, I have stuck my head above my tanks before but I had not considered how frustrating it would be if I really needed to stick my head in there, but couldn't.