PDA

View Full Version : What size for rehoming/selling bristlenose plecos?

Samong
01-23-2016, 09:51 PM
So somehow or other I have apparently made the perfect pleco tank without trying and I can guarantee 16 right now that are between 1 and 2 inches. There's probably more than that, especially when I stir up the substrate. Well I found a new generation (2nd known breeding) this evening out and about.

How big should these guys be for selling, trading, rehoming, etc? I can't keep the whole first generation, I don't know what I would do with thirty of them. XD They're albino and wild types, ordinary fins.

Justin
01-23-2016, 10:06 PM
I would be happy to take some off your hands[emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garfieldnfish
01-23-2016, 10:11 PM
What type of BN?

Tangfan
01-23-2016, 10:45 PM
Congrats on he breeding of he bristlenose.

I have found that once they reach about 1" they are a good size to rehome.

Your 2nd spawn might be more than 15.

Garfieldnfish
01-24-2016, 10:56 AM
Where are you located at? Are you going to the Spring auction? You could enter them in the auction. BNs always sell. I am currently looking for some long finned albinos but would take a couple of regular finned albinos one as well. PM me if you decide to sell or trade a couple. I have some dwarf corys I could trade with you for a couple of the albinos. I used to sell BN fry at 1" (not counting the tail). They ship well at the size.

Samong
01-24-2016, 11:16 AM
Garfieldnfish I only know that these are Ancistrus spp., I unfortunately am unsure of the actual species. Which drives me nuts. They are somewhat distinctive; they all have white flashes on their tales at the top point and bottom point of their caudal fins. Some markings are very wide as they grow and others have their markings remain the same. But the white marking thing is weird; I'll have to catch one and photograph it through a kritter keeper to really identify them.

The adult female is 3 years old and approx. 5 inches, while the adult male is 4 inches. Both are heterozygous for albino. They have had several albino offspring. Are these animals the club might be interested in? I haven't yet gone to a meeting (nervous I guess), but sending these guys directly into experienced aquarist hands seems much better for them.

Garfieldnfish
01-24-2016, 12:33 PM
The white markings should disappear as they grow older. There are BNs (L183) with white marking but the adults have them as well and you would know if you had those as they cost a bit more and needs black water conditions to breed. This site might help you identify them. Most likely you have the "common BNs" which are a mix of several BN species due to years of cross breeding in the hobby, sort of like muts.
http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/quick_find.php?ajax_quickfind_return=bris

I live in Acworth. Is that far from where you are?

cswain123
01-24-2016, 06:25 PM
I've got buttloads of bn pleco fry too. Mine aren't quite an inch yet but I'm ready to start getting rid of mine. Male already had the female trapped in the cave the cave again a couple days ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Justin
01-24-2016, 06:26 PM
Let me know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garfieldnfish
01-24-2016, 07:47 PM
CSWAIN123 what color and type are yours? Once they start to breed they won't stop and you will find a new batch every 4 to 6 weeks. I had to separate my males from the females. I stopped allowing them to breed years ago. Recently I decided to breed them one more time and promptly lost my last female. Now I am on the look out for a long fin albino female or some fry that I can grow up. They only take one year to mature.

cswain123
01-24-2016, 11:31 PM
Mine are albino and brown shortfin. I have another pair that's full albino but they're in with cichlids so I only got a few fry from them by chance a few weeks ago. I've been told i'll end up separating them. Their one spawn was 40+ fry. Both pairs I have are very mature. I'd love to get some variety. I had some super reds and albino long fin but when you have to leave your fish in other people's care things happen. Ideally I'd trade these for other fish/plants. I'd be fine with uneven trades as these guys are prolific!

Garfieldnfish
01-24-2016, 11:45 PM
I would love to get 4 of the albino fry. I only have dwarf corys to offer at this time and/or suesswassertang. PM me if you are interested. And assassin snails.

numsjr@gmail.com
01-25-2016, 12:59 AM
Interested!
What were you guys interested on trade?

Samong
01-25-2016, 07:32 AM
Me personally? Plant cuttings of Anubias spp, Elodea, Java fern, Java moss, duckweed, Marsilea minuta, platies, endlers, cories of any spp, duckweed, N. heteropoda of any variety, that sort of thing.

Garfieldnfish
01-25-2016, 07:45 AM
Samong where are you located at? I have java fern and moss, duckweed, dwarf water lettuce, dwarf corys. If you are closer to me then Commerce I might be heading your way.

cswain123
01-25-2016, 12:47 PM
I'm even further away than commerce now but I'll be back up the weekend of feb 29. I could detour through Atlanta if you wanted to trade some dwarf cories. Just picked up a few and I'd love more.

Samong
01-25-2016, 02:26 PM
I'm in Alpharetta/Roswell, but we make regular trips to the Athens area too.

Garfieldnfish
01-25-2016, 02:38 PM
You are way closer to me. I can pick some up next Sunday if that is ok with you. PM me please to see how we can make this happen and what you would want in exchange from me.

numsjr@gmail.com
01-30-2016, 10:56 PM
I'm in Alpharetta/Roswell, but we make regular trips to the Athens area too.

I'm going to be driving thru alpharetta/roswell tomorrow around noon.
I can bring some duckweed/water lettuce if you would like to rehome a few albino babies.