PDA

View Full Version : How to run air pump off car battery?

spidangular
01-29-2016, 05:23 PM
I need to connect a Standard plug in the wall aquarium air pump directly to a car or marine battery. Has anybody done this and can you tell me how please? Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samong
01-29-2016, 05:39 PM
I use a power converter like http://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Power-Inverter-Smartphones-Tablets/dp/B004MDXS0U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454110694&sr=8-1&keywords=car+power+outlet <--- That one to give me regular outlets in the car, maybe this would solve your problem? We use ours to power laptops and other chargeables on long car trips, I don't see why you couldn't plug in an air pump.

Larry Bugg
01-29-2016, 06:16 PM
That's how I do it.......with a inverter.

Tangfan
01-29-2016, 06:42 PM
Definetly need an inverter. AC motors will not function on DC current.

spidangular
01-29-2016, 10:06 PM
Thanks y'all, I'll look into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Demonfish
01-31-2016, 04:08 PM
You can get DC powered or battery powered air-pumps at fishing equipment places like bass pro shops, or look for an inverter at a truck stop.

Larry Bugg
01-31-2016, 05:45 PM
If you are looking at just one pump and a very infrequent amount of uses then the DC powered work just fine. I have them and have indeed used them. Guess I should of asked for some more details cause that could make a difference. On the other hand a inverter is a good investment for other uses. As Tanggan said we also use our inverters (one for each vehicle) for laptops and many other things. The nice thing about the inverter is that it pushes my spare pump which will handle about 40 outlets so I can use it for more than one airstone or filter. Going to the NADA Show in Austin, Chad and I had 5 to 6 five gallon buckets each and each had their own outlet. I have a manifold that I used for multiple lines.

gloriousbettas
02-01-2016, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the Amazon link.

Kendra