PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for water access?

lindad
02-01-2016, 05:43 PM
I'm considering moving some of my tanks down to the basement, but the only water access downstairs is the washing machine. Does anyone have ideas of easy ways to do water changes, other than lugging buckets of water up and down the stairs? It seems like there should be a way to tap into the water lines for the washer without needing to call a plumber to extend a tap, but I haven't come across any. The only other thought I had was just using a large reservoir of some sort that I can fill with the garden hose periodically... Thoughts?

mountainman36
02-01-2016, 05:53 PM
i tap off my water heater feed, get both hot and cold that i can mix. i used a 'Y' backwards - so the top of the 'y' connects to hot and cold. i have valves to regulate each to get the temperature i want. i had to get some fittings to make the conversion back to the normal hose fittings. i can take a picture if you like.

If you did that it would work. you could also run the water into the waste line for the washer. usually that is an open pipe that the washer hose goes into, you can fit a small hose there too, garden hose with the end cut off.

or a pump via garden hose all the way outside.

likestofish
02-01-2016, 05:58 PM
A python might be your best choice

Tropical
02-01-2016, 06:10 PM
I would get one of those big plastic drums with wheels (50gallons or so) and use a hose to full if up, then get 1-2 300w heaters to heat it up....

Samong
02-01-2016, 06:11 PM
You might want to take some measurements/photos of the plumbing for the washing machine and then go see what you find at the hardware store. Drainage pipes are usually just straight pipes; the drainage for my washer just dumps in via gravity with a hose and isn't screwed together at all. Think of plumbing like legos, odds are there's the right arrangement of valves to get what you need.

Tangfan
02-01-2016, 06:44 PM
Years back, I had the same issue. I resolved it by getting a Y for both the hot and cold water lines. Hook washer up to 1 leg of each. Off the other leg, hook up a valve of some sort to tun on/off and adjust temp. After valves, get a another Y that joins them back together. Off of this one you can hook your hose. The Ys I used were made of the same hose as the washing machine hoses to handle the temp.

Youll also lain have to make sure the female/male ends are proper. These hoses were available at Home Depot or lowes back then.

Hope me that idea helps.

to drain tanks, I'd drain into a drum and pump drum into washer drain.

Link to type of Y I was referring to. http://m.homedepot.com/p/Y-Water-Mixer-Washing-Machine-Hose-6-5008PHD/203146215

Valves were from garden center

Apisto Jim
02-02-2016, 09:22 AM
I have a similar arrangement to the Y made with copper pipe. One word of caution: if the hot and cold coming into the top of the Y are open but the outlet at the bottom is shut you will get "cross-flow." This means if someone in the house tries to get cold water from a faucet or flushes a toilet, hot water will flow through the Y into the cold water pipes. To avoid a potential hot sh*t situation I shut off the hot water inlet when ever I close the mixed temperature outlet.

lindad
02-03-2016, 02:49 PM
Thanks for all the great info, everyone! I've got lots of ideas to look into now. :bigthumbsup:

canoe
02-04-2016, 08:52 AM
While you are working on a solution for the "inflow" side, don't forget to solve the "outflow" part as well. Water from my water changes ends up flowing into the sump pump pit, with the outlet in the middle of the lawn.

lindad
02-04-2016, 10:47 AM
That was my plan for outflows, as well. Nice sump pump pit right next to the space I was considering using for the tanks. :)