PDA

View Full Version : Royal Farlowella questions

Weather Loach
02-03-2016, 04:19 PM
Hi,
I know males have odontodes but does anyone know if females can have them also?

Also, is it possible for males to not have odontodes?

Is there any other way to sex them?

I have ordered from 2 completely different places. The first place has sent what appear to be females (no odontodes). This was after asking for both sexes on 3 different orders. The 2nd place said they had 2f/4m but when they arrived, they all appear to be male (have tiny odontodes). It's hard to believe my luck would be bad enough to not get both over the course of several orders.

mountainman36
02-03-2016, 10:30 PM
how big are they? may be immature and impossible to tell just yet. try feeding them well and do the water changes accordingly...in a month to 6 weeks you may see more noticable differences.

Weather Loach
02-03-2016, 11:31 PM
The largest 3 that I've had for a couple of months are 5/7/8 inches. The 6 I got today are approx. 4".

mountainman36
02-04-2016, 08:01 AM
id say the larger ones may be showing sexual characteristics now, but the 4" ones not. wait a month or so, the statistical probability of you having only one sex is about .4%

Weather Loach
02-04-2016, 12:09 PM
Ok, great. Thank you!! I will keep an eye on them. I looked at the 8" one last night and saw some teeny tiny odontodes that have not been there before. I actually compared photos so I know they are relatively new.

All of the new whiptails (6) have really small ones.

I was thinking that out of the fish I have, surely I have some of both sexes. I figured the chances of having just one sex was slim to none but that would certainly be my luck!!