PDA

View Full Version : Wild Caught versus Captive Bred...

Tropical
02-11-2016, 06:33 PM
Hey there,
I'm curious as to what you all prefer concerning fish, whether tank raised/captive bred or wild caught fish?

Tangfan
02-11-2016, 07:03 PM
The concern with captive breed is if any degradation of the breed has happened due to line breeding. A prime example of this is yellow labidochromis. About 10-15 years ago, that fish was getting much more black on it than is seen in the wild and the fish was not a true representation of the fish in the wild. The exact opposite of that was discussed at the last meeting about discus.

In Africans, it is typically a status symbol to have wild or F0 fish. In other species, it isn't taken as much that way. Since I am mostly an african guy, I have bought into the wild is better philosophy. Not that if I see a good strain of captive breed fish, I wouldn't get them, but I have been known to get a species and see defects on them so I get rid of them.

michael wolfe
02-11-2016, 07:49 PM
All of my fish are North American natives. Most are wild caught. But I have a few that have been captive raised... some that I have bred and some that friends. Young fish (wild or captive) acclimate better to captivity.

Tropical
02-11-2016, 08:24 PM
@TangFan,
I agree with fish that breed rather easily (such as most African cichlids) I can see how inbreeding can quickly take over and cause issues.

Each has their own pros and cons...

That's certainly true, young fish will adapt better.

I personally prefer captive bred fish as from the ones I keep, their wild counterparts are a lot duller on color (Tetras, live bearers, dwarf cichlids, etc) ,less chance of disease (parasites/worms), and are better suited to a wide array of water conditions.

bluefalcon505
02-11-2016, 09:08 PM
I buy wild caught for my display tank and captive fish from breeders I know to breed with F1 or 2's in the past. This way I can keep the inline breeding from happening. It's more known in African like tang fan said.

Matt H.

Demonfish
02-11-2016, 10:58 PM
Captive breed fish are generally hardier and tolerate worse water quality. With Malawi mbuna the fear is hybrids. If you get them from a reputable breeder, you can know they are true. But you can't know what happens in cloudy-water Florida fish farms where the fish can't tell each other apart. IMO these fish are fine for bachelor display tanks, but I wouldn't breed them. If you get wild caught, you have to deal with travel stress and parasites. IMO, its much easier to get these from an importer that treats them and fattens them up than to deal with "straight off the plane" fish yourself.

mountainman36
02-12-2016, 07:37 AM
since my primary objective is to breed my fish, i get excited about the challenge of breeding wild caught fishes...but tank raised ones are much easier to spawn generally. I dont really care which i have.

Samong
02-15-2016, 05:41 PM
Captive bred or long term captives for me personally. I have no issue at all with the idea of getting wild stock as a concept, but I am all too aware how quickly humans can crash populations through collecting. Even when there are regulations in place I can guarantee you those regs are being bent or outright broken as well as hard to document. It isn't the average aquarist's fault that there are so many humans in existence that pet trade collection is a very real threat among many wild fish. I think "pet" destined fish should be from captive bred stock, but anyone who's genuinely breeding should definitely have access to wild fish for outcrossing. That goes for breeders developing form or color strains too. Breeding back the variant lost crossing in a wild specimen is a huge pain in the butt, but the genetic diversity is so very important. Everything "pure bred" whether snakes, horses, dogs, cats, fish, etc has the potential to suddenly develop health problems due to genetic drift and the founder effect. I know outcrossing is not practiced at the rates it should be in any species, but I think it is something to strive for from an ethics standpoint.