PDA

View Full Version : Is FX6 any good?

brian313313
02-12-2016, 06:59 PM
I have a new 120 long aquarium. I'm thinking of getting the FX6 filter for it. Anyone have experience with that? Think this would be a good filter? The filter is rated for 400G but I plan on some larger fish which will probably be messy. Any competing products that are in the same or better price range?

Thanks.

bluefalcon505
02-12-2016, 07:35 PM
They're one of the best canister filter out there. There's also the SunSun canister has one close to the same size. I just remembered the ratings or model.

Matt

Demonfish
02-12-2016, 08:11 PM
I would want about 3X the capacity for a tank that size.

bluefalcon505
02-12-2016, 08:46 PM
Yes the Sunsun HW404B is rated around 525 GPH and is just as big as the FX6

Matt

oxheart
02-13-2016, 05:27 AM
get the fx6 I run a bunch of them , great filter , have never had a problem with one.
Rick

bluefalcon505
02-13-2016, 06:28 AM
I would get the fx6 myself.

Matt

aXio
02-13-2016, 10:47 AM
Arguably once you go that big with the filtration you might as well go all out and get a sump filter which you can do way more with then an a canister.

But as far as large sized canisters go.. Fluval FX is hard to beat.

York1
02-13-2016, 01:13 PM
Eheim Pro series is the best IMO. I would get 2 canisters on a tank that large.

likestofish
02-13-2016, 01:55 PM
I got a sunsun 303b that is treating me very well

oxheart
02-13-2016, 05:06 PM
Eheim Pro series is the best IMO. I would get 2 canisters on a tank that large.
Was talking to one of the eheim reps a year or so back and he said the Pro series had problems . I have 2 in the basement drawing dust with leaks at the motor housing in the same place . A common problem with them .
Rick
Really I wouldn't give a shake for the other fluvals but the fx 5's and 6 rock . Of course this is just an opinion take it for what its worth.

York1
02-13-2016, 05:24 PM
I have never had a problem with the 3 i own.

brian313313
02-14-2016, 06:55 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Looks like I'll be getting the FX6. I have 3 sunsuns (one's an aquatop but same thing) but they're max rating is 150 gallons. I could get two sunsuns but the the FX6 is not much more money and it makes maintenance easier to have just one. A sump won't do since this aquarium is in the living room next to my wife's chair. It must be quiet. Only way she'll let me have an aquarium in the LR. I have the whole basement she says. :)

On a side note, a caution for anyone planning to move a planted aquarium full of guppies. I thought 1-2 hours all-inclusive. I spent at least 3 just catching the guppies. They never stop having babies so they're were many too small to get into the net without getting them away from the glass. I siphoned out quite a few but to get the last 10-20 was a real job. Eventually, after dark, the last few were going towards a flashlight so I used that to my advantage and I think I saved them all.

caricell
02-14-2016, 07:03 AM
If you change your mind and decide to go with the sunsun's I have one or two HW304B (rated at 520 GPH) brand new for sale at $95 each.

Larry

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Looks like I'll be getting the FX6. I have 3 sunsuns (one's an aquatop but same thing) but they're max rating is 150 gallons. I could get two sunsuns but the the FX6 is not much more money and it makes maintenance easier to have just one. A sump won't do since this aquarium is in the living room next to my wife's chair. It must be quiet. Only way she'll let me have an aquarium in the LR. I have the whole basement she says. :)

On a side note, a caution for anyone planning to move a planted aquarium full of guppies. I thought 1-2 hours all-inclusive. I spent at least 3 just catching the guppies. They never stop having babies so they're were many too small to get into the net without getting them away from the glass. I siphoned out quite a few but to get the last 10-20 was a real job. Eventually, after dark, the last few were going towards a flashlight so I used that to my advantage and I think I saved them all.

aXio
02-14-2016, 09:40 AM
I have completely dropped Eheim Canisters from my store stock. The Classics started getting made in China 2-3 years ago and turned into complete trash. Countless returns and problems with them after the moved production to China. Really sucks because before that the Eheim Classic was arguably the best all around canister on the market.

The Pros have always been historically bad filters. I never carried them for that reason. First few generations of the Pros had horrible leaks were the power cord meets the canister body. Eheim reps fully admitted to the issue for years and didn't have any answers other then just replace them for customers... WHAT?! Recently Eheim says they have redesigned the Pro canisters and fixed the issues... Eheim even sent me a completely FREE Eheim Pro4+ to try and out and try and convince me to bring back Eheim filters to my store... it's been sitting in a box in my office untouched for over 4-5 months now...

Just my .02 cents on what Eheim is now...

likestofish
02-14-2016, 12:34 PM
Very glad I didn't choose an Eheim now when my 403 finally died. Was looking at the Eheims while shopping but that price tag was hard to swallow.

mountainman36
02-14-2016, 02:11 PM
how much you want for that dusty box?? lol

York1
02-14-2016, 02:36 PM
The best thing is to do your own research. All the well known canister filter manufacturers have had problems. Just like anything you have fanboys and haters of any given brand.

Tropical
02-14-2016, 03:03 PM
Has anyone ever made their own canister filter?

likestofish
02-14-2016, 03:34 PM
Nope but saw this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVWqq73mW_4

Tropical
02-14-2016, 04:46 PM
Yeah that's the exact same one I was thinking of...

gofish
02-15-2016, 10:34 PM
I just checked my receipts and I apparently purchased my FX-5 on Feb 28th, 2006 and it's been running continuously since. That's 10 years without a problem. No worries... I found some wood to knock on ... It's a great filter.