PDA

View Full Version : 120G Long Build

brian313313
02-14-2016, 04:35 PM
Setting up my new aquarium. It's a 120G long. (60x18x26) I built the stand myself. Rockwork is in place but I need to get the silicone on it. I'm planning on New World Cichlids but am still not sure what kinds. I'll probably just do all singles except for two male EB Acaras that I already have. I'm going to put some plants in there but probably just fake ones. It depends on the choice of fish though. I'm thinking about a Severum & something else that has a max size of 8". I may also put some cleaner fish like catfish or something. That part is still being planned.

Tangfan
02-14-2016, 05:23 PM
Love the rock work. Would like to know where you got it.

Tropical
02-14-2016, 05:48 PM
Cool! You could do Java ferns and Anubis, they're very easy lowlight.... Or some floaters like dwarf water lettuce....

brian313313
02-14-2016, 06:16 PM
The rocks came from Home Depot. I actually bought an entire pallet & buried about 2/3 of it. It was cheaper that way. I originally got them about 5 years ago for a 180 I had but they've been in storage for a couple years now.

Love the rock work. Would like to know where you got it.

mountainman36
02-14-2016, 07:45 PM
guys - ANY of the stone yards around atlanta will happily sell you rocks. they have lots of different kinds. Home depot is always going to be more. More convenient yes, but more money too. There is a stone yard in everytown around the north side of atlanta, and often several more. If you need any help with that let me know. i have literally bought hundreds of tons in the last few years for the pond business. Generally about $0.20 twenty cents a pound if its not a full ton or pallet. Those rocks look like granite - if thats the case, they will not leach anything into the tank. they dont dissolve etc, so it wont affect water quality.

brian313313
02-15-2016, 05:29 PM
This is granite, marble, & I think it's called siltstone (basic river rock). I did sort through beforehand and removed anything that looked suspicious.

Do you know of any stone yards around Roswell, Alpharetta? I was thinking of getting a few pieces of slate. It's not worth going much further for just a few pieces.

Edit: I answered my own question - Stone Center of GA. I looked the other day but I used "Rock" instead of "Stone" and all my hits were too far away. Thanks for the keyword:)

brian313313
02-17-2016, 10:15 PM
I have the FX6 installed & the rock is all siliconed into place. Ready for the next steps.

Here's the plan next:

Substrate - Sand & Gravel. I'll put two bags of gravel on the left, two bags of sand on the right and blend them towards the middle. This will support all the cichlid types I'm looking at.

Plants - I like the idea of Java Fern and Anubias. Dwarf water lettuce seems ideal, except I was planning good surface agitation to help with oxygenation. They may still do good in the corners. Java Moss may work also. I'm open to suggestions on this as I'm not the best plant person. I'll end up going with two 48" T5 HO 6500K. I changed my original plan because I already have the light and budget is getting thin.

I plan on a fishless cycle and will let the plants get slightly established before adding fish. I'm not waiting months, but they'll have a head start on getting rooted.

Tropical
02-17-2016, 10:21 PM
Plants: the Anubis and Java fern are both best when attracted to rocks/work, when their rhizomes are buried they rot and die...

You can make a corral for the Water lettuce with a straw and a suction cup, that's what I do....