PDA

View Full Version : Anything UNDER your tank?

bmarsh07
02-15-2016, 12:30 PM
Before I get started on my 125, does anyone put anything under their cabinet? Like, to protect the carpet or anything?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Demonfish
02-15-2016, 02:51 PM
If its a full rectangle, I don't think you need anything. If it has four feet and you intend to place them between the joists you may want to add a board across the floor. I do keep a blue absorbent mat in front of my tank anytime I am doing anything to it to catch drips. When I saw the heading I was prepared to tell you about dehydrated plecoes and spider egg balls.

bluefalcon505
02-15-2016, 04:05 PM
It's depends on what kind of filtration system, you can have a leak in the filter or worse a leak with the tank. Which both has happened to me some years back, it's really won't help in the situation specially if not home when it happens. But when I do water changes, I use a plastic floor mate the long in the length of the tank. You can get one cut to length of the tank at Lowes or Home Depot, it has helped when I take any decor out or spill during any kind of maintenance on the tank.

Matt H.

Samong
02-15-2016, 05:20 PM
I keep my 75g's canister filter in a 20gal rubbermaid bin beneath the tank. It won't save much if I'm not home and breaks in such a way that it siphons the tank's water. It has however saved me from water damage/leaks when I've had parts cease to fit well or I misaligned something putting the filter back together. It also makes landlords feel better for some reason.

I haven't used anything in the last two houses, but when we move again in August I'll probably get another roll of office carpet protector/desk matting to put beneath the whole thing. I haven't had any damage a Rug Doctor couldn't clean, but most of my mess is right on the front edges of my tank where water drips from me working in the tank and dribbling water off my arms/tools.

bluefalcon505
02-15-2016, 05:40 PM
I like the tote bin idea, it would've been when a canister that some how got hairline crack underneath it. This is mats I place in front of the tank during maintenance, It's very helpful to prevent water dripping on my carpet and it's makes a happy wife.[emoji23]

Matt H.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160215/e0e94327b8c902abd36bf203c8519c7b.jpg

Tropical
02-15-2016, 07:16 PM
What you could further do is place a water alarm in the Rubbermaid container, that way when it starts to fill it'll make some noise! Those things are as loud as a smoke alarm!
Speaking of which you can make a water alarm from a smoke detector, it's really simple.http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gfgUPBApY7s

bluefalcon505
02-15-2016, 07:48 PM
Not a bad idea, but I was ready to slap the DIY guy. How many times does it need to touch the wires to get the point across with the 2 wires touches, that the alarm will go off...[emoji1309]

Matt H.

Tropical
02-15-2016, 07:51 PM
Not a bad idea, but I was ready to slap the DIY guy. How many times does it need to touch the wires to get the point across, that if the 2 wires touch the alarm will go off...[emoji1309]

Matt H.

LOL good one, :)

caricell
02-15-2016, 09:47 PM
My fish room has Doctors office carpeting with no padding underneath. Whenever I have a spill, I use a wet vac and blowers to clean it up.

LOL good one, :)

bluefalcon505
02-15-2016, 10:53 PM
My fish room has Doctors office carpeting with no padding underneath. Whenever I have a spill, I use a wet vac and blowers to clean it up.

My 7 year old girl Dr Office dr has 500 tank in he waiting area of the . Which he Has 350 give or take with fish and it's major bad combination too.

Matt H.