View Full Version : Are these Africans Compatable and Tank Stocking

02-17-2016, 11:46 AM

Very new to this hobby and new to Cichlids but decided that this was the fish I wanted to go with. Anyway, I have a 55 gal tank that I cycled and got all my pH and such where it should be and decided to add some fish. Went to the lfs and decided on the Malawi types and the store suggested some different types. I chose to go with

- 1 Red Empress
- 1 Dragon Blood
- 1 VC 10
- 1 Jakobfreibergi (spelling?)

all are only about 1.5 inches and the lfs said they would all work together but I'm starting to wonder whether I should have gotten all of the same kind or maybe two of each kind. I also want to know what other cichlids would be compatible with these guys because I plan on adding more fish very soon.

I also wanted to know on a 55g tank with an Emperor 400 and a Fluval 305 what would be the proper amount of fish to stock so as I have searched high and low but can't find a good answer

If I messed up on the fish please don't brow beat me too bad as I kinda jumped in head first and probably should have researched alittle better or consulted you guys first. Thanks

02-17-2016, 11:57 AM
The filtration system is fine and the stock of fish isn't bad. You just don't want to mix Mbuna with the type you have, as Mbuna are very aggressive compared to yours.

Matt H.

02-17-2016, 12:34 PM
I agree with Blue Falcon on the mixture. The Red Empress is a Malawi Hap (Protomelas to be exact), the Dragon Blood and Jacobfrieburgi are both Peacocks and the VC10 is a Victorian Hap. Many people, myself included, will mix haps and peacocks on a regular basis, as well as mixing lakes. The Victorians are a little more aggressive then the Malawi fish, but you shouldn't notice it to much. Yellow Labidochromis would be another nice addition to that tank. As for the number, most people say to keep 1" of fish per gallon (adult size), most of your fish will only reach 5-6" max, so with only 4 fish, you still have plenty of space to add more if you choose.

As for jumping in head first, most of us here have jumped in completely body (most have multiple tanks) and we mix and match fish as we see them come available and something interests us. I know I do for sure.. :)

Good luck.

02-17-2016, 01:48 PM
I agree for the most part expect the 1" per gallon rule, that's just because LFS will give the wrong information to their customers from it. Me personally it's about the footprints of the tank along with what I'm keeping. Good luck as well. It's a great hobby to do, as long as you take the time to learn it. [emoji16]

Matt H.

02-17-2016, 02:20 PM
I don't mix peacocks with mbuna. Water requirements are the same but feeding is very different. Peacocks are carnivorous (meat eaters). They do well with frozen blood worms, etc. Mbuna are vegi eaters. Algae forms a big part of their natural diet. Bloodworms will often give them bloat.

02-17-2016, 02:47 PM
Yes, Their dietary requirements are different and besides the aggression from Mbuna.

Matt H.