PDA

View Full Version : Scuds and shrimp

spidangular
02-17-2016, 05:29 PM
Can Scuds eat baby shrimp?
I am thinking about having a little tank to breed scuds to feed my African cichlids and am wondering if I could just throw some red cherry shrimp in there as well. Would both populations prosper?. Has anybody successfully had shrimp and scuds in the same tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spidangular
02-17-2016, 05:38 PM
I don't have any scuds in my tank yet. Maybe it's all just a bad idea because I just have one display tank with African cichlids and I don't want it looking infested. Will Africans eat the scuds and keep them from multiplying or should I just not put them in there at all?

Garfieldnfish
02-17-2016, 06:03 PM
I don't know about Africans. I know my CPDs keep them under control by eating the baby scuds but I still have to trap the adult scuds as they are also egg eaters and in turn will eat the CPD eggs. It's a balancing act. If I had more CPDs in the tank it would probably work without my intervention but I sold off too many CPDs and the scuds got the upper hand. They are very prolific breeders. But I am close to reaching the right balance again in this tank. I had scuds in a tank with dwarf corys and the corys totally wiped out the scuds. Scuds like to hide in the substrate and corys root them out. So I would say it depends on the Africans eating habits.
I have keep shrimp and scuds together. While I have not seen any scuds actually going after a baby shrimp I would not rule it out. But scuds will compete over the same food and may deprive the baby shrimp of the biofilm they need to survive.
I have seen my scuds clean up a totally neglected fish tank with algae all over the plants in a matter of days. But now I have to trap them as they are thriving again all too well in this tank and currently there is nothing in there that can eat the adult scuds. But luckily there is a market for them on AB and a trap with some food in it covered with some java moss will lure them in. I am currently raising 9 salt and pepper corys in another tank and they will go into the scud infested tank in another 2 to 3 weeks. I have a feeling the corys will make life rather difficult for the scuds so I am not too worried about them right now.

Tangfan
02-17-2016, 08:54 PM
I've never kept SCUDs, but am keeping Red Cherry Shrimp as well as Africans. I would not keep them in the same tank. I tried putting a few adult shrimp in with peacock fry that were ~3/4". The fry were smaller than the shrimp. The shrimp were dead within 30 min. They were not completely eaten, but they definitely were attacked.

As for Scuds and shrimp, I honestly do not know how that would go.

Apisto Jim
02-18-2016, 09:20 AM
I have several tanks with gammarus and cherry shrimp. Since cherry shrimp carry their eggs under their tails until they hatch and are fully mobile, the gammarus can't eat them. The gammarus flourish in these tanks I believe because they are more aggressive eaters. Gammarus will completely cover any food offered leaving little room for the cherry shrimp to graze. I grind the food finely so the cherry shrimp have a fighting chance. I have also noticed that the cherries almost always cover the sponge filters nibbling on the food and microorganisms living there.

spidangular
02-18-2016, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the comments. After digesting them and weighing the benefits against the drawbacks, I decided against the scuds. I can provide live food other ways without committing to a life long scuds colony.