PDA

View Full Version : pleco

terry
02-19-2016, 01:10 PM
my bristlenose have spawned in my community tank in a small cave at the bottom.the male is still there but I can see the young should I just leave them or try to syphon them out

cswain123
02-19-2016, 01:48 PM
Depends on what other fish make up the community tank. The parents won't bother them but if there's a fish that could fit one in its mouth then you might want to remove them if you're wanting to have lots of fry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Tangfan
02-19-2016, 01:53 PM
When my bristlenose spawn in my African Cichlid tanks, I typically let the father guard the eggs until they hatch and then once I see free swimming fry, I take the cave out and transport them to another grow out tank so they don't get eaten. If it is a fairly peaceful community tank, they might survive on their own in the tank, but that is hard to say without knowing the types of fish in the tank.

terry
02-19-2016, 04:00 PM
well I'm kinda new. he cleared a cave under a rock and the bottom. he lays in front of it which is cool but he moves alittle and I see free swimmers. I cant remove the cave so I thought if I syphon right in front I can get most just don't know if that will hurt them.

terry
02-19-2016, 04:06 PM
opps. I have adult angels,keyhole and 3 araus plz forgive the spelling and thank u both for the quick response and info

Tangfan
02-19-2016, 04:12 PM
Siphoning is probably the best bet to get them out. Any cichlid (which you have south American cichlids) will try and eat the fry. The babies will venture out the make shift cage at some point and become food. The way I discovered mine were breeding was exactly that way - I saw a baby pleco on the glass right as I turned the lights on. Ooops.

Hope this helps.

Garfieldnfish
02-19-2016, 04:23 PM
I would wait about 2 weeks from the day they laid the eggs before trying to remove the fry. The father will guard them but at the 2 week point it is likely they will venture out on their own if he cannot block off the entrance. Syphoning them out prior to the egg sacks being mostly absorbed will likely result in damage to the egg sacks and death of the fry.

terry
02-20-2016, 06:44 PM
hey thanks for the help the father left so I decided to syphon only got 3 so I lifted the stone and the mass exit happened I could only catch about 15. I got about 5 that where albino or very pinkish is that normal for 2 dark bristlenose. several escaped in the tank only hope they can make it.again ty for your help and advice

Tangfan
02-20-2016, 06:51 PM
hey thanks for the help the father left so I decided to syphon only got 3 so I lifted the stone and the mass exit happened I could only catch about 15. I got about 5 that where albino or very pinkish is that normal for 2 dark bristlenose. several escaped in the tank only hope they can make it.again ty for your help and advice

Getting albino out of 2 Browns is not common at all, but possible. If the parents of your fish were 1 brown and 1 albino, than yours would be brown, but would parent 25% albino.

terry
02-20-2016, 06:59 PM
both parents are dark brown so guess I'm lucky.hope the survive