PDA

View Full Version : Chloramine Drinking Water Treatment

canoe
02-19-2016, 07:43 PM
My wife is employed by a chemical company that makes swimming pool chemicals. This "trade" article is about chlorine and chloramine used in municipal water treatment.

http://www.waterandhealth.org/facts-chloramine-drinking-water-treatment/

Interesting that one problem in using chloramines is that nitrifying bacteria can grow in municipal water pipes.

Tropical
02-20-2016, 01:55 PM
Cool, thanks for the article! I would think it would be a different kind of bacteria?

Also I wonder if they do the seasonal switch between chlorine and chloramines in Atlanta?

aXio
02-20-2016, 02:55 PM
Georgia uses chlorine. Florida uses chloramine

For our hobby purposes especially when working with RO/DI units... it is safest and best to get something that can handle both. Not nearly as important on the freshwater side of the hobby. We deal a lot with this on the Saltwater side. Especially with the customers that mix their own water at home.

Jakub

Demonfish
02-20-2016, 11:36 PM
Agree aXio. Although there is no chloramine now, there is no requirement that water systems warn you before switching. Having lost fish when chloramine was first introduced with no warning years ago in Illinois, I feels better to be prepared and treat as if we have chloramine.