PDA

View Full Version : The things you find it in filters....

Tropical
02-23-2016, 10:06 PM
I got some beautiful danios from Pierre at the last meeting, and a few days ago I noticed one was missing. I looked around the tank , as they are known to jump and didn't find anything. Then today I was doing maintenance and exchanged filters and I saw movement in the filter! The little guy had been in there for days, I really do wonder how he got in there! It was a HOB filter with a lid so only an inch opening!

Also found fry in a filter before....

Anyone else have similar experiences?

spidangular
02-23-2016, 10:30 PM
American Roaches. They like the moisture and the sludge on the filter floss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tropical
02-24-2016, 06:53 AM
Ooo, I don't know what I'd do if I found a roach in my filter! That's creepy....

Samong
02-24-2016, 08:55 AM
I've had a HOB filter slow to a dribble only to discover that out of sight java fern had taken root in the filter floss. The cover was off with Pothos growing in it, but since I'm so short I never noticed until I got on the step stool to fix the filter flow.

Igster
02-24-2016, 11:48 AM
Years ago I pulled out one of those bubble-powered in-tank box filters that looked like a mini SeaLab sitting on the bottom, that had charcoal and filter floss. I set it aside for a few days till I could get to it to clean it and when I popped the lid out squirmed a huge fat kuhli loach that had gone missing!

oxheart
02-24-2016, 04:59 PM
found some 1inch Eretmodus in a fx5 , didn't even know the pair had ever spawned.
Rick

Tangfan
02-24-2016, 05:23 PM
found some 1inch Eretmodus in a fx5 , didn't even know the pair had ever spawned.
Rick

Aren't those guys mouth brooders? That's a real interesting fine

Tropical
02-24-2016, 05:57 PM
Wow! How did they survive so long? They must have been in there awhile at that size!

@igster, I've heard of kuhlis doing that, lol

oxheart
02-24-2016, 07:33 PM
figure they had to have been in there month and a half I change it every 2 months . 2 on that tank so rotatation works well . Its a tropheus tank as well and I find the longer length seems to work for them . also a hang on the back and power head . but yes bi parental mouthbrooders they have breed many times since then .
Rick

brian313313
02-28-2016, 10:40 AM
I had a sump one time and found a fish in the filter floss still alive. It was pale, skinny, & weak. It hadn't actually been in water for quite a while. I put it back in the main tank and it survived though. Then I did an inspection and found another in the overflow with about 30 babies. It took forever to scoop them out but I managed to get all in the main tank and then put sponge over my overflows which I always do now.

I also had an oscar tank years back and a goldfish made it into the HOB filter. He had to go over the top but had found a good hiding spot. He was probably there for a month before I noticed.