PDA

View Full Version : Danio Breeding Advice

Tropical
02-26-2016, 10:36 AM
I'm looking into breeding my leopard danios, I want to play around and "practice" with easier egg scatters before moving on to tetras.

So I have my fry foods ready, vinegar eels, microworms and several sizes of Golden pearls. Also have Hikari first bites and can set up a bribe shrimp hatchery.

Right now I've separated the males and females into 2 tanks, and am conditioning them. Feeding small portions 3-4 times a day, a mix of flake, bloodworms/mysis/Adult brine shrimp (all frozen). Any other ideas?

I have several questions on the breeding set up....

Half the people say needlepoint mesh , other half say double layer of marbles. Has anyone tried out either? What works better?

I'm planning on a 10gal, with lower water levels. Do I need a heater? Sponge filter? Airstone? Any plants? Spawning mops?

Also last question (I promise!) is there a way to access the BAP data sheets?

Thanks I appreciate any help!

Tangfan
02-26-2016, 11:10 AM
BAP data sheet can be downloaded. Go to the Club Details tab above. Once on that page, on the right hand side, there will be a link for BAP details. BAP form is there as a PDF.

Tropical
02-26-2016, 11:24 AM
Yes I'm aware of that, I meant if there is a way to see the filled in BAP data sheets from other people who have bred danios...

Lol

Pierre
02-26-2016, 02:15 PM
I'll dig mine and send it to you.

Tropical
02-26-2016, 02:37 PM
Ok thanks!

cswain123
02-26-2016, 06:38 PM
I used the mesh for some skirt tetras. The mesh is easy to get out. Marbles will be a pain if you want them out and you'll have to wait til you're sure you won't squish the Fry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

mountainman36
02-26-2016, 06:41 PM
ive not breed them, but always wanted to. the marble technique is actually a bit expensive since marbles arent cheap anymore. Also - its impossible to vacuum debris with marbles on the bottom.

So id say mesh or a large number of spawning mops that you can take out easily later.

also - infusoria is what you will need for first food. they are too small even for micro worms to start. do green water, or infusoria. Ive bred pencilfish by accident and some tetras also in a tank by just letting them be, and got a few fry that way, and danios too. just the one that showed up in a tank NOT where they adults were (it was a multiple tank system).

good luck!

Tropical
02-26-2016, 06:55 PM
Oh wow can't believe I didn't think of that! Good point!

Mesh like needlepoint?
I will have to make some spawning mood for sure.

Yeah I will probably have infursuria as well, how do you do yours?

Thanks!

cswain123
02-26-2016, 07:01 PM
I have some i wanted to spawn as well. I think I got five males and one female. Only one of them plumped up. Were yours easy to sex?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Tropical
02-26-2016, 08:09 PM
Danios were my first fish, So naturally I've always wanted to spawn then!

The bellies are the sure thing to sex them, males are always skinny. Very easy, so if they're not plump, you probably have males...I selected the best looking female and 2 of the nicest males to condition.

mountainman36
02-27-2016, 07:47 AM
make green water by getting a bit or lake or river water, lake is best itll be a bit more green already. i have mine in a 2.5 with a minimight light on it 24 hrs a day. i dont do water changes on it, but refill it from other tanks. it stays green. i do occasionally add fod to it.....fight now it actually has a few killifish in it. i though there werent any babies left and dumped the bowl of water into it...just in case, and i saw babies in there yesterday.

As for mops - get polypropelyne yarn...i simply wrap it around my hand about 30 times. hold it with my thumb and cut it across my palm. then use one of the strands to tie it up. lots of youtube vids on it too. i would lay them all on the bottom of the tank, not hanging. you could move th emops and swap out into another tank every morning.....may get it done.

gofish
02-27-2016, 10:03 AM
I've used marbles to breed Danios. You condition the fish, add the fish to the tank with the marbles in the evening and they will spawn in the morning if they are ready. If they don't spawn, remove them and continue conditioning. Clean the the tank with the marbles (always keep it clean). Add the pair or trio (2 males,1 female) to the marble talk after a few days of conditioning. Keep repeating the above until you see eggs. When you see eggs, remove the adults and the marbles and wait for the fry.

Tropical
02-27-2016, 10:09 AM
I've used marbles to breed Danios. You condition the fish, add the fish to the tank with the marbles in the evening and they will spawn in the morning if they are ready. If they don't spawn, remove them and continue conditioning. Clean the the tank with the marbles (always keep it clean). Add the pair or trio (2 males,1 female) to the marble talk after a few days of conditioning. Keep repeating the above until you see eggs. When you see eggs, remove the adults and the marbles and wait for the fry.

My worries would be crushing the eggs when you move the marbles? Did you have a single layer or double of the marbles?

Ok I'll try that out, I live near a lake. I was actually wondering about infursuria, there are so many different methods, what was worked best for y'all?

Also does anyone how to access the BAP sheets other people have filled out? Or who to contact?
Thanks!

Tropical
02-27-2016, 10:09 PM
3 letters: FRY!!!!!

So it's seems fast, but I actually pulled out all the moss from my danio tank last week, as I was curious of anything was in there, and yesterday I had given up and was about ready to attach it to some wood, BUT I saw several small "things" at the bottom and sucked 2 up with a turkey baster, to look at them closely and sure enough they are fry! They're not moving at all, hopefully I didn't kill them...

Oh and they are Jellyfish/Coral/Zebra danio "Hybrids", aka Glofish(Yeah, I'm one of those guys who keeps them, don't judge me:P )

Funny thing was I only had 1 purple male, and 2 green females so I'm interested what the fry turn out to be and will be forced to give them away for free, IF they make it.(Due to patents) you shouldn't be able to patent a live animal IMO.

mountainman36
02-28-2016, 05:40 PM
you shouldn't be able to patent a live animal IMO.[/QUOTE]

Several folks spent A LOT of time and money to engineer these fish....they very much should be protected/licensed patented. Patents protect ideas as much as products. fish are products just as mcnuggets are....

i see your point since we can replicate or reproduce them, but its still 'their' fish....and congrats on the fry. thats great

Tropical
02-29-2016, 07:23 PM
Yeah I know, but I still find it strange! Besides the fact that they only say on the website that the fry can't be sold, traded or bartered. Nothing in the stores...

As to the fry, not sure how they're doing, I've had a massive migraine these last 2 days so all fish have been neglected. Hopefully they can find something in the Java moss...

I will However set my focus on the leopards, they are really pretty fish.

Tropical
03-08-2016, 10:23 PM
Update(in case anyone is interested)

The Glofish are doing great they're in a 4 gallon plastic shoebox, with Java moss/Frogbit/water lettuce, heater at 78 and airstones. Doing daily 1.5 gal water changes.

I spawned the leopard danios Sunday night and I just looked and all of a sudden I see a few white eggs but hundreds of Amber colored ones!!!!! Super hyped! They are in a 1 gal container with light MB, also have a lot of moss and Frogbit. They should hatch on ~Thursday!

mountainman36
03-08-2016, 11:15 PM
thats awesome! same methods as before?

Tropical
03-09-2016, 04:11 PM
Thanks, yes used a small container with needlepoint and suction cups, put them in at ~8 pm and took them out in the morning. Although I think they spawned immediately so probably finished within 3-4 hours...

Tropical
03-10-2016, 02:08 PM
We've got wigglers! All along the side are the eggs plus a lot in the moss (at least 300 total!)

You can see them moving in this video, this is only a fraction of them:https://vimeo.com/158528102

Tropical
03-11-2016, 02:52 PM
So just about all of them have hatched, some were already last night!

There are a ton of them, I'm estimating 200-400... I put all the eggs in a Dip'N'Pour with Java moss and Frogbit covering the top, right after the above video.

And that's hanging in a tank to stay, with an airline.