PDA

View Full Version : Where to get my aluminum CO2 tank refilled?

geotek
10-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Hi, my 20lb aluminum tank is finally dropping in pressure. Where can I get this tank refilled as I don't want to exchange? I live NE of ATL but am willing to drive downtown if necessary.

zmo63
10-09-2009, 11:07 AM
It's a shame there's no search function on the forum, but here's a previous thread with some suggestions - http://www.atlantaaquarium.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9

geotek
10-09-2009, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the lead, I'm going to pay Bev. Control a visit. Once again, thanks for the prompt help!

Larry Bugg
10-09-2009, 11:36 AM
Ken
Wasn't it you that mentioned a place to get oxygen tanks................think maybe it was somewhere near Indian Trail.

jmhart
10-09-2009, 11:49 AM
We might want to put together a reference page for the website. Only something slightly better than a spreadsheet, listing fish stores, places for co2 refills, rock yards....just a general resource page. I think it would be helpful.

zmo63
10-09-2009, 12:06 PM
We might want to put together a reference page for the website. Only something slightly better than a spreadsheet, listing fish stores, places for co2 refills, rock yards....just a general resource page. I think it would be helpful.
I think that's a great idea. I maintain a map of all the local freshwater fish stores, but since it's not a sticky, it keeps getting buried. Here's a link (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=116890397610105302838.000448c1e5bef6e3777d3&ll=34.01738,-84.357147&spn=0.686374,0.653687&z=10) for anyone interested.

Another map of interest is one that Kevin made for people to plot their locations. Again, the thread keeps getting buried, but here you go (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&cid=4915195740881020500&hq=&hnear=&msa=0&msid=117936772995726563523.00045b2fe3af8c41069f7&ll=33.843045,-84.318695&spn=0.687781,0.653687&z=10). It's really nice to get an idea of where people are since Atlanta is so spread out.

Larry Bugg
10-09-2009, 12:36 PM
One day hopefully we will be on a server/webpage that allows us to do the things so many of us are used to on other forums.........searches, stickies, ect. Guess it can be hard to justify with such a relatively small user base and the price of the current server can't be beat.

kwseiders
10-09-2009, 01:25 PM
I did post the place, and I still go there, although they recently raised the price to fill a 20 pound tank to $18.00 (I believe it was $14.00), but hey, it is worth it to me, and besides, my 20 pound tank lasts around 4 months, and that is filling 5 tanks with cO2.

But, I have also gone to Linde Gas (that is where I actually got the cO2 20 pound tank) and that is further NorthEast. At least for us folks in Stone Mountain it is farther NorthEast. At Linde Gas, they exchange your empty tank for a full tank. So if you have a tank you are wanting to keep, go to Beverage Control, but if you are not attached to the tank, and are willing to exchange it, go to Linde. Either one works for me, it just depends on how far I want to drive.

Larry Bugg
10-09-2009, 02:52 PM
Co2 is covered at Beverage Control. I'm looking to get a o2 tank and fill it for bagging and shipping.

I did post the place, and I still go there
LOL, guess you want me to dig through all the old post. Could you save me the trouble and give me the name?

geotek
10-09-2009, 03:15 PM
Beverage Control does have a nice collection of soda memorabilia to look at while they fill the tank, and yes, it is $18 for a 20lb tank. Thanks again. I agree that having some sort of sticky for this topic would be great.

jmhart
10-09-2009, 03:18 PM
Bugman, What are you looking to ship? You can ship pretty much anything except the heaviest of breathers using a good sized 7 mil bag, 25% water and 75% air. There was a great discussion on the Krib about shipping a while back. Let me see if I can find it.

Here:

http://www.thekrib.com/Apisto/bag-n-ship.html

I recognize that welders use it all the time, but pure O2 requires adequate safety controls and even still there are many incidents with it. Again, unless it's some really large fish or shipping long distances(outside continental US) I'd stick to air. You can use a bicycle pump, of if you want, purchase equipment to pump compressed air.

The interested thing from that discussion is that 7 mil bags are permeable to O2 where gas is in contact with the bag, so you're getting gas exchange and equilibrium with the atmosphere.

However, if you must use O2, Airgas certainly can fill it, but that'd be expensive. Welding supply places will also fill/swap it. New to the area, I don't know any welding supply places, but I'm sure google can find one close to you.

As far as equipment, you can get an O2 regulator pretty cheap off ebay or craigslist(and get the cylinder there too).

Demonfish
10-09-2009, 05:14 PM
oxygen is cheap (about $20/tank) . its the tank and regulator (~200) that are pricey because which ones are used are restricted. Medical oxygen needs a prescription. Welding oxygen is for anyone, but they will only fill a regulation tank/regulator combo. If anyone wants an illegal empty oxygen tank (out of date medical) let me know. Maybe you can fill it out of state or use it for CO2

Here is a good (but expensive place). http://smithwelding.com/ They have a site in Cumming. They fill their own tanks so they are not 'waiting for the truck' like a lot of the places around here.

Bug, i have a tank, if you ever need oxygen asap, you can come over and fill your bags. Let me know how shipping works for you. I've never done it from here and am interested it how you 'get it done'.

Larry Bugg
10-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Bug, i have a tank, if you ever need oxygen asap, you can come over and fill your bags. Let me know how shipping works for you. I've never done it from here and am interested it how you 'get it done'.
Thanks, I haven't shipped yet either and don't have any immediate needs but hope that down the road I will offer a few things for sale that might mean shipping. Just saw the thread and remembered Ken mentioning at the picnic that there was a place on Indian Trail. I like to be prepared.

kwseiders
10-09-2009, 10:15 PM
And I heard recently that you cannot put pure Oxygen in bags containing fish that come to the surface to breathe (such as bettas, or corydoras) as when they come to the surface and get a blast of pure Oxygen, they will suffer. Just an amazing fact, compliments of The Goodwill Guy.

And don't forget, at this thread http://www.atlantaaquarium.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9 which zmo63 alluded to earlier are all the addresses and such that I have referenced in the past (though I cannot for the life of me imagine how zmo63 remembered that!)

ChloroPhil
10-10-2009, 09:30 AM
Praxxair on North Cobb Parkway at the intersection with Allgood Rd. is where I get my tanks and refills. They're a little hike for me, but would be good for folks in the Kennesaw area.

Regards,
Phil

Chris Noto
10-17-2009, 04:14 PM
It's a shame there's no search function on the forum
You know, Kirsten, I nodded my head in agreement when I first read this, but, since then I stumbled on the search function here. It's right up at the top of the page, in that green bar, between "User list" and "Profile".

Now, though, I'm going to sagely regret that our moderators have not made that post a "sticky". :cool:

zmo63
10-17-2009, 05:00 PM
It's a shame there's no search function on the forum
You know, Kirsten, I nodded my head in agreement when I first read this, but, since then I stumbled on the search function here. It's right up at the top of the page, in that green bar, between "User list" and "Profile".

Now, though, I'm going to sagely regret that our moderators have not made that post a "sticky". :cool:
Whoa, you're right! I'm so used to looking for a search bar, I've completely missed it all this time. Thanks!