View Full Version : 90 gallon planted tank

Wade Lehmann
02-29-2016, 08:13 AM
I am just starting up a 90g planted tank as a display tank in the living room. I am using a good bit of the equipment from my old reef setup (for now).

Tank: 90g Reef Savvy on a cherry stand, rimless (4')
Lighting: 2x Ecotech Radion Gen 2 (with wireless interface)
Filtration: Eheim 3 Pro cannister
pH and Temp are monitored on Apex Lite controller/display
*will be adding auto topoff system

These pictures I took last night, 2 weeks into the tank:

Currently contains a 1" albino rubberlip pleco and 7 Otocinclus at the moment.

CO2 is ready to be installed (need to fill the tank) and add some fertilizer tabs to the soil bed.

02-29-2016, 09:20 AM
That's a beautiful tank. Can't wait to see it when it is completed.

Weather Loach
02-29-2016, 04:43 PM
That is a beautiful setup. I love the frag style tanks. I have an 80g frag set up for my Loaches and some Whiptail Catfish.

02-29-2016, 07:14 PM
Beautiful tank! Really like how you have it set up!

What other fauna are you planning to get?

Wade Lehmann
03-02-2016, 08:14 AM
Thanks all!

My plan is to grow low/carpet style plants in the foreground with a few, more sparsely planted tall plants in the back.

For livestock I am planning 1-2 (probably 2) species of small schooling tetras and some Neocaridina shrimp for added splash of subtle color.

One thing I had to do with this setup is add an auto topoff. Because I don't have a sump, but am using the 'ghost overflow' there is only about half an inch of play in the water level before the filter doesn't have water flowing to it. That will be my next upgrade.

04-18-2016, 01:21 PM
BEautiful. What kind of substrate do you use? And where did you get the tank from?

Wade Lehmann
04-25-2016, 07:53 AM
The tank is a Reef Savvy (http://reefsavvy.com/) 90g rimless. I actually won it in a raffle at a big national meeting last year.

The substrate is local sand (harvested from a creek here in Fayette cty, then washed thoroughly) and a mix of mostly Flourite and a bag of the Fluval substrate. Combined in differing degrees based on the depth and what plants I wanted in there.

As an update, I made the mistake of moving some plants around that were just rooting in - the plants are fine, but I must have stirred up the substrate sufficiently to let the fertilizer pellets get into the water column. I made a pea soup mess for myself (overnight it went from crystal clear to being able to see no more than 4" into the tank). I've added additional filtration with GFO (for PO4 removal) and have done 3 40% water changes, but it hasn't gone away yet. Ugh. Whenever this mess clears, I will post an updated picture.