PDA

View Full Version : Question: Emergent plants to attach to driftwood?

Wade Lehmann
02-29-2016, 07:19 AM
I recently found a nice pc of driftwood (from a Lake in VA) that looks good in my tank. However, the top 4" of the stump stick out of the water. I assume that having the wood sticking out of the tank will likely cause a good bit of mold/rot to occur.

Due to that, I am looking for options (other than chopping off the top).

I am thinking that moss or a fern would be a great addition that would prevent any obvious signs of fungus/rot. But, this is fairly close to some intense lighting (but it won't be hot at all, just high light). I even considered somehow attaching an orchid or pitcher plant.

Does anyone know of any plants that will grow, attached to wood, that can withstand intense light and high moisture?

Cheers,

Tropical
02-29-2016, 06:17 PM
I have seen Takashi Amano tanks that use regular moss on the wood that sticks out of the water, however not sure how that would work long term....

I'd be worried about any aquatic plants drying out, even in emeresed growth.

HN1
02-29-2016, 07:07 PM
A lot of our "aquatic plants" grow emerged naturally. Crypts or anubias may be worth a try though it might be too high light for them.

Tropical
02-29-2016, 07:57 PM
A lot of our "aquatic plants" grow emerged naturally. Crypts or anubias may be worth a try though it might be too high light for them.

Yes, but aren't they in humid, tropical conditions? At least right now in the winter, anything not in the water dries out fast. Maybe find a realistic looking plastic plant??

Mog Carns
03-01-2016, 08:43 AM
The area above the water in your tank is a pretty humid, tropical environment if your lid is reasonably tight.

Tropical
03-01-2016, 08:46 AM
The area above the water in your tank is a pretty humid, tropical environment if your lid is reasonably tight.

I don't think there is a lid: www.atlantaaquarium.com/showthread.php/11433-90-gallon-planted-tank

Wade Lehmann
03-02-2016, 07:08 AM
No lid, however, the tank is warm enough and enough water moves up through the wood to keep it moist. So far, the moisture climbs up to all but the top 1" or so of the wood where it emerges. I can also plant right at the water line to keep things happy if needed.

I do believe that some of the anubias and probably mosses will get burned by the lights as they are quite close.

I'm still wondering about an orchid or something similar that naturally grows attached to trees.

BobMajor
03-03-2016, 01:06 PM
I have tanks set up like this.I have some with pennywort and some with anubius.Start the anubias below the water line and let it grow up the wood.If you start above the water level you will loose the current leaves and have to wait for new growth