View Full Version : Advise on using shop lights on a tank.

10-10-2009, 06:36 PM
I was looking through the previous posts and saw that a lot of people use shop lights for their tanks. Do these work well with a planted tank? I have some Sword plants and some stemed plants in my 55 gallon. Currently the tank has two 24" 20 watt T-8's, which came with the tank. The tank is in the living room so I don't know if I would hang the shop lights from the ceiling. Would the lights work if placed directly over the tank on glass tops? Or would it be better to make some kind of brackets to attach them to the top of the tank.
I don't know alot about aquarium lighting, any advice is helpful.

10-10-2009, 06:37 PM
They work fine, mine sits directly on the glass.

I got it (2x32W T8) at Lowes for $20. It's pretty wide, so it would probably cover more of the top of the tank than what you've got.

10-10-2009, 08:23 PM
I just got back from home depot and I saw some T8's w/ reflector for $39.
The light looked a little longer than the tank, it looks like it might work.

10-10-2009, 09:26 PM
Just make sure, that if you do hang them, or do not use a glass top, that they are far enough away from the tank, that they do not get splashed on.

10-10-2009, 10:09 PM
There is a cheap walmart one for around $15, 2 t8's. I had it on the 55g for a week or two but ended up returning it. I think the 55g just was just barely wide enough for 2 of them, with a little bit overhanging.