PDA

View Full Version : Reef aquarium hobbyist interested in freshwater :)

LSU_fishFan
03-06-2016, 10:39 PM
Hello everyone,
My name is Luke and I currently have three saltwater reef aquariums, but have recently gained an interest in this side of the aquarium hobby. I heard about this club through my main club the Atlanta Reef Club, where I am an active member under the same username. I have been in the hobby for almost 4 years now, and I love it. My current systems include a 250 gallon tank, a 60 gallon, and my most recent setup, an approximate 40 gallon coral frag system with a total water volume of 160+ gallons.

Throughout my few years in the hobby, I have gained a lot of information on the saltwater side of the hobby, but after starting to research freshwater aquariums, I feel completely lost, and contrary to popular belief feel like this stuff is a lot more complicated lol.

Through my short research, and prior knowledge of freshwater fish, my interests are in discus, cichlids, and planted tanks.

here are some links to my systems on arc
http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=97135
frag system build
http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=103470
Pics of 60
http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=103110

I live in Cumming, and would love to meet some of you guys and check out your tanks.

HN1
03-07-2016, 12:17 AM
Welcome aboard Luke! Glad to have you here. We have plenty of folks that are very knowledgeable on discus, cichlids in general, and planted tanks. Please feel free to post any questions you may have. We also have a few people in and around Cumming if you ever want to carpool to a club event.

Your frag system is ridiculous!

LSU_fishFan
03-07-2016, 05:57 AM
Welcome aboard Luke! Glad to have you here. We have plenty of folks that are very knowledgeable on discus, cichlids in general, and planted tanks. Please feel free to post any questions you may have. We also have a few people in and around Cumming if you ever want to carpool to a club event.

Your frag system is ridiculous!
Thank you!

Tangfan
03-07-2016, 06:52 AM
Great looking corals. Love your set-up. I must admit, I am laughing somewhat at your post saying you're lost on freshwater with a system like that for Salt. Although, on a certain extent, I must admit, I am lost when it comes to planted tanks, and I have been keeping Africans Cichlids (my main focus) for over 30 years. During that time, I have dabbled into just about anything with water. :)

Welcome to the Fresh water side.

mountainman36
03-07-2016, 07:04 AM
Iv been keeping fishes for 30 years, and worked at several stores...freshwater is a lot less complicated in general, but it can be so much more rewarding. Breeding fishes and growing them is much more satisfying than merely 'keeping them alive' like most saltwater fishes. Reef tanks are different, and complex, but if you can do that, its easy.

the interesting this to me on water parameters - you can keep a red sea tang, and a damsel from australia and a damsel from The Atlantic ocean with yellow tangs from hawaii....saltwater is pretty much the same..Freshwater varies on Temps more, pH so much more, and there are so many more habitats - river, stream , lake, rapids, gravel, boulders....it makes the freshwater experience much more interesting.

im sure you will have a great time figuring it out
Richard

LSU_fishFan
03-07-2016, 09:19 AM
I'm sure that I will easily get a hold on how freshwater works. It's just different when all you've ever known is saltwater.

Are there any other sites I should check out to read up on livestock, equipment, and parameters?

aXio
03-07-2016, 09:34 AM
Loving all these ARC people coming over! =)

Demonfish
03-07-2016, 12:13 PM
I like cichlid-forum.com for cichlid ID, care and setup/

Tropical
03-07-2016, 04:11 PM
Welcome! Those set ups are incredible!

Seriouslyfish.com has great profiles, one of my favorites.

How big of a tank are you thinking of? Then it can be easier to give some suggestions...

LSU_fishFan
03-07-2016, 09:32 PM
Thank you, I have a 55 gallon tank that is currently serving as my qt for saltwater fish. In about a year when I'm done adding fish, this mat be the tank I use. Is this too small for a few cichlids or discus?

i figure that it's probably fine for a beginer planted tank with small community fish at the least.

Tropical
03-08-2016, 07:34 AM
There are lots of cichlids you could do, but I don't think discus do well in a 55 long term. Maybe as a breeding set up, but not as a community tank. I've never had discus, so I may be wrong, maybe someone else will chime in.

Look at Tetras/Rasboras, Corydoras Catfish, plecos, Rams, Angelfish, Acaras, Apistogramma....

These are all South American species that would work well together. However there are lots of different species of each one, that's just the broad term. I'd suggest choosing a centerpiece fish(or group) and then working your stocking around that.

Tangfan
03-08-2016, 08:28 AM
If you want Africans in a 55, Many go with Mbuna from lake Malawi in that size. I would personally go with some Psuedotropheus Saulosi (stay smaller than most Mbuna and I have never found them as aggressive as many of the others). Some of the Aulonocara or the Haplochormis species can also be kept in 55, even though I do prefer 75s for these species (some get over 6" in length).

if you want to go from Lake Tanganyika, I would try some of the Neolamprologus species. Adding in some of the Synodontis cats would also be a possibility. Definitely stay away from Frontosa or Tropheus species in a 55.

oxheart
03-08-2016, 04:57 PM
[QUOTE
if you want to go from Lake Tanganyika, I would try some of the Neolamprologus species. Adding in some of the Synodontis cats would also be a possibility. Definitely stay away from Frontosa or Tropheus species in a 55.[/QUOTE]

Throw in some Juliachromis or some of the shellies. Stay away from multies though they will own the whole tank in no time .

LSU_fishFan
03-08-2016, 10:57 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'll keep researching and may be making my freshwater aquarium appearance soon

LFCanderson
04-11-2016, 11:29 AM
I heard about this club through my main club the Atlanta Reef Club, where I am an active member under the same username.

I knew I recognized that username! I love having both fresh and saltwater tanks and I'm sure you'll pick up everything quickly. I mean, its pretty cool to have a sunken-log lagoon in one room and a mini reef system in another :)