PDA

View Full Version : Fish that eat duckweed

Weather Loach
03-07-2016, 01:37 PM
This may be common knowledge but wanted to post my findings with my fish. I have a 125g that has Blue Loaches, Rainbowfish, Diamond, Lemon, & Orange Tetras, and Black Ruby Barbs in it. I have 2 Guppy tanks that the duckweed grows in. In the past I've added it to the 125 and it would be gone the next day but I never knew who was eating it. It turns out that the Black Ruby Barbs and Tetras are the main ones. The Rainbow's and Loaches are nibbling on some of it too but not like the Barbs & Tetras. I'm glad to know the Duckweed can be "controlled" by some of my other fish!!

cswain123
03-07-2016, 02:02 PM
I didn't know that. Definitely valuable info.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Weather Loach
03-07-2016, 02:20 PM
I know, it's exciting to know I can keep duckweed and not be overrun with it. I have also added some to a tank that has Angelfish, Rainbows, several Botia Loach species, Dojo Loaches, and Congo Tetras. Most all of them (except the Botia species) are at the top picking around. I'll know in a day or two if anyone is eating it. Hopefully I can track down the definite salad eaters in that tank also!!

Garfieldnfish
03-07-2016, 03:49 PM
You can add goldfish to the list.

Weather Loach
03-07-2016, 04:22 PM
Thank you Garfieldnfish, I have 2 Goldfish. I'll put some in for them also!!

Thank you :)

Demonfish
03-08-2016, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the info, I may need to get some barbs.

Mog Carns
03-09-2016, 04:35 PM
Buenos Aeries Tetras, if they are not overfed on tastier foods.
Many barbs and goldfish.

Many micropredator species peck at duckweed, but are not really eating it. They are instead eating the microfauna that live in the dangling roots.