View Full Version : Accidently got L. curviceps to breed

03-21-2016, 05:04 PM
I got a group of 5 of these L. curviceps back in February and put them in a 20 gallon with some plants wood and tea leaves. Went on a trip last week and came back to find 3 of them hiding out in the wood and the two others guarding a brood of wigglers in the corner. Should I remove the 3 or leave them in so I dont have to tear everything apart trying to get them out of the spiderwood.

03-21-2016, 09:15 PM
Congrats! I don't have any experience with them, but interested as well.

03-21-2016, 10:03 PM
The pair might really start to beat on the other three as the Fry become more mobile. I think they're supposed to be fairly peaceful but I had a pretty fiery male once. Since they're already hiding I'd say it would definitely be safest to pull them.

03-22-2016, 07:44 AM
I think I brought those to the meeting. I had them in an outside tank last summer, 6 in a 30 gallon, and a pair spawned. I took out the other 4 and left the pair in the 30 with the young because they were very aggressive toward the others. Almost all the young survived. The other 4 I put in a 10 gal. with 1 Mcmasteri and another pair spawned in there. I left them in there but only about 5 fry survived until I brought them in. They are very protective but no damage was done to the other fish.

03-22-2016, 12:50 PM
Had a scare today, looked in the sand pit for the wigglers and found them all gone. Thought I had done something and made the parents eat them all, but saw they were still being aggressive so checked and saw they had moved the brood to under some of the tea leaves. Also if they are still just sitting in the sand they still don't need to be fed yet right?

03-22-2016, 01:37 PM
I would leave everything as is right now. Attempting to catch the "other" adults would be difficult and would probably disrupt the entire tank and possible upset the breeding pair. It is good for the breeding pair to have something to guard the fry from. It will strengthen the pair bond. When the fry first become free swimming they will stay pretty close together. This is the time to syphon out a few of the babies to raise in a separate tank. Leave most with the adults. The experience will do them good. They will probably end up eating the babies at some point but should spawn again in a couple of weeks. Good luck.

03-22-2016, 01:38 PM
Oh yeah... you are right. Do not feed the babies until they are free swimming.

03-23-2016, 06:36 PM
Update, they have been moved again to a new third spot. The other adults are still in and hiding but none are showing any signs of damage. Also a few of the fry are starting to swim off the bottom

03-24-2016, 10:00 AM
Well I think I lost 1/3 of the fry overnight since the last update. And none of the ones left are swimming like the ones that disappeared.

03-25-2016, 07:43 PM
Probably final update for this batch, only 5 or so swimming fry left compared to the bunch from last night. I'm guessing they got eaten by the other 3 in my tank so I have removed them and placed them in my plant tank. Hopefully might just strip the last 5 to get them to spawn again sooner.

04-02-2016, 12:04 AM
Do a big water changes right near a storm. Feed free swimming fry with a turkey baster, squirt tank water with fine powder or frozen baby brine directly into the cloud when its swimming and keep up the water change schedule. IME when a swarm dies a few days into free swimming its usually food. Let the tank get grooddy, let algae grow on the glass and the sponge filter get slimy so the fry have something to eat.