PDA

View Full Version : High ph, Whats going on? New tank questions....lots of questions

MichaelWms62
03-22-2016, 12:06 AM
I set up my new 36 tank last week. Plants with plant substrate gravel. The water was cloudy for a day and a half, then I added Dr. Tim's One and Only live nitrifying bacteria and waited. When I set up the tank the ph was 7.4. Now after almost a week its 8.6. The ammonia is 0.5 ppm ,nitrite 0.25 ppm and nitrate 5.0 ppm. This is my first time cycling a tank from nothing. Is this normal? Should I be worried about the ph? Would driftwood or some other natural thing lower it? I'm just unsure what to do or if it needs to be done. Thanks for any help

HN1
03-22-2016, 12:27 AM
If you are cycling fishless, ignore pH. Any "bacteria in a bottle" product will require a bioload as well. How are you testing? Strips, reagent?

Tangfan
03-22-2016, 09:14 AM
I also just read a post in a facebook group that I am in, that someone is using some National Geographic substrate and their pH has gone high to an 8.2. Appears the substrate is raising the persons pH based on some of the testing they have done. I am somewhat surprised by this since you need a lime stone or a coral type substrate to raise the ph. I am mentioning it just as another possible thing to investigate if your pH remains high.

aXio
03-22-2016, 09:24 AM
Len is correct. Until the cycle is complete don't worry about the pH. Obviously this is only an option when doing a fishless cycle.

MichaelWms62
03-22-2016, 06:02 PM
If you are cycling fishless, ignore pH. Any "bacteria in a bottle" product will require a bioload as well. How are you testing? Strips, reagent?

Yes I'm fishless. I've been fish flakes to my tank every day to create ammonia. Today got ammonia @ 0.50ppm, nitrite @0.50ppm and nitrate @ 10ppm. I test with an API master kit. So I guess I'll keep waiting and looking at fish pictures. Thanks