PDA

View Full Version : Wild Emerald - Brochie Splendidum

Hilde
04-05-2016, 06:51 PM
I saw Wild Emerald - Brochie Splendidum listed on the auction site. I can not find any info on it. Can someone give me a link to them with pic?

HN1
04-05-2016, 07:11 PM
http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=114

Hilde
04-05-2016, 07:24 PM
So these are corys?

HN1
04-05-2016, 07:37 PM
No, but they resemble them a lot. They get larger than most cories iirc.

Tropical
04-05-2016, 08:36 PM
I saw Wild Emerald - Brochie Splendidum listed on the auction site. I can not find any info on it. Can someone give me a link to them with pic?

What is this auction site you are referring to?

They are often mistaken for bronze cories, as they look extremely similar when small, but the brochis grow significantly bigger.

Btw in some more recent articles they have been reclassified to Corydoras Splenden
www.seriouslyfish.com/species/corydoras-splendens/

mountainman36
04-05-2016, 10:16 PM
What is this auction site you are referring to?

They are often mistaken for bronze cories, as they look extremely similar when small, but the brochis grow significantly bigger.

Btw in some more recent articles they have been reclassified to Corydoras Splenden
www.seriouslyfish.com/species/corydoras-splendens/

As a guy who got a degree in fisheries, and took ichthyology, no way they are correctly classified as a Corydoras. They are similar, but get much larger, and have a longer dorsal fin, plus snout morphology is different, so they cant be the same species....just doesnt fit.

Either way they are wicked cool.

Tropical
04-06-2016, 08:06 AM
As a guy who got a degree in fisheries, and took ichthyology, no way they are correctly classified as a Corydoras. They are similar, but get much larger, and have a longer dorsal fin, plus snout morphology is different, so they cant be the same species....just doesnt fit.

Either way they are wicked cool.
I did a bit of research on them, and I have to admit there are only a few sites which say that. I am definitely not an expert, just an interesting opinion. I am aware that they have more rays(~10+) in their fins then corydoras(~7), and that they have the different body shape.

The link above, at the bottom has a notes section, explaining it a bit.

Then this site: www.animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/catfish/greencory.php

And Wikipedia of course also gives its 2 cents worth www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_catfish