PDA

View Full Version : Feeding shrimp /plecos

Tangfan
04-07-2016, 05:25 PM
Has anyone ever tried to feed shrimp/plecos any type of fruit? I know you can feed them multiple types of veggies, but not sure about fruit. I'm specifically thinking about feeding apples.

Tropical
04-07-2016, 07:13 PM
Technically, cucumbers and zucchini are fruit(as they have seeds) lol, but I know what you meant. I think the problem is that they are too sugary and not that nutritional.

I've heard a lot of people use French cut green beans(frozen) with great success for plecos. Blanched carrots are great for shrimp and make them color up really well.

This blog is pretty informative www.myaquariumclub.com/supplementing-a-fishs-diet-with-human-foods-the-yes-and-nos-10467.html

Tangfan
04-07-2016, 07:25 PM
Hadn't thought about using carrots. Hmmm

Tropical
04-07-2016, 07:27 PM
Hadn't thought about using carrots. Hmmm

I think the Beta carotenes are probably what affect the shrimp's color,

Tangfan
04-07-2016, 08:00 PM
I think the Beta carotenes are probably what affect the shrimp's color,

Beta carotene is very effective at highlighting the Reds and oranges in fish. Orange Neolamprologus Leluepi feed high levels of beta carotene nearly glow orange. I used to feed mine a lot of tetra cichlid sticks when I had them 20 years back for that very reason. Not sure if that is still the best food for that now or not.

Demonfish
04-08-2016, 02:01 AM
I've heard of people feeding oranges to goldfish. I never tried it, though. Swiss chard is supposed to be esp. nutritious and nori (Japanese algae sushi wrap) is supposed to be good for algae-eating fish. Both are somewhat pricey. IME new life spectrum cicihlid food has a lot of color enhancers. It turned the yellow tails on my P. acei orange.

Garfieldnfish
04-08-2016, 06:24 AM
I have fed oranges to goldfish before. They loved it. My clown plecos munch on mangos, the other plecos not so much but I can see shrimp eat that.
Forget about apples. I did not try apples with shrimp but all my plecos ignored them. Not even my MTSs were a big fan of apples.

Tropical
04-08-2016, 06:41 AM
Swiss chard is extremely easy to grow in a garden and comes in lots of colors. Bok choy is another good one!

I think omega one makes their own "nori" for fish, it's the identical product for 2-3 the price.

Mog Carns
04-09-2016, 11:50 AM
Everything loves the outside leaves of Romaine and Cabbage. I freeze the cabbage first.

The ends of cooked sweet potato goes over pretty well with kribs and rainbow cichlids.

Never had anyone touch apples or tomatoes.

Frozen green and red bell peppers eaten by livebearers and cichlids.
Same with frozen peas and carrots.

Oranges make a huge mess for me.

Been thinking about trying strawberries, but the boys eat all of them.