PDA

View Full Version : Reducing electricity cost

likestofish
04-09-2016, 10:58 AM
I'm trying to figure out the best way to reduce electricity costs coming from my fish room. Right now all my tanks run completely separate from each other so they all have their own heat, air, and lights. Also would using a just a single larger air pump be more efficient than using several smaller pumps?

aXio
04-09-2016, 11:11 AM
I'm trying to figure out the best way to reduce electricity costs coming from my fish room. Right now all my tanks run completely separate from each other so they all have their own heat, air, and lights. Also would using a just a single larger air pump be more efficient than using several smaller pumps?

In most cases yes it cheaper to run a central air pump for all the tanks. But at the store our most significant saving is on heat. We find it is MUCH cheaper to heat the building with the HVAC unit instead of letting thousands of watts worth of heaters kick on. We still keep heaters in the tanks just in-case but we have it set that they don't really kick on at all because the HVAC is keeping the building at 78-79 degrees at night during the cold months. We turn the HVAC back down to about 76 during the day.

Also making the investing to using LED lighting has cut our electrical costs down A LOT. It is a large investment for sure, but most LED units pull 1/5 or less of the power to comparing fluorescent bulb fixtures.

likestofish
04-09-2016, 11:58 AM
Would insulating the tanks with white foam board help? The room is in the basement that is finished but we dont run the heat down there. So with being underground I think the air temp is holding at 68-65 depending on the air temp outside.

Mog Carns
04-09-2016, 01:01 PM
You could discover a love of cooler water species.

aXio
04-09-2016, 03:28 PM
Would insulating the tanks with white foam board help? The room is in the basement that is finished but we dont run the heat down there. So with being underground I think the air temp is holding at 68-65 depending on the air temp outside.

I'm sure it would help at least some. How much I couldn't really tell you as I haven't personally tried anything like that.

Usually the next best thing after heating the whole room would be to some how plumb all the tanks together and run a big sump style filtration unit on it. That way you could just get some large 500-800watt titanium heaters to heat the whole system. The titanium heaters are a lot more efficient and they run on controllers, so they tend to stay on for shorter periods of time compared to traditional heaters with built in heat sensors.

But for something very cheap and quick foam insulation would be hard to beat. I would be interested to see your result with this if you decide to try it. Would be a bit difficult to accurately measure/compare just comparing power bills though since there are other variables effecting it.

Some people use radiator style heaters from Walmart/Target. They are relatively cheap at around $80-120 and do a pretty damn good job at heating up a whole room fast and efficiently.Best of all they are radiators so they don't blow a bunch or hot dry air around causing more evaporation on the tanks. Depending on how many tanks/systems you will be running this still might be much more efficient then letting a ton of wattage worth of heaters kick on.

Guess since the warm weather is coming you could just open some windows and doors to naturally warm up the basement with a draft, but that might over shoot you on the other end by getting it too hot and/or humid.

canoe
04-09-2016, 07:45 PM
Whether or not heating the room is cheaper than running individual tank heaters will depend on how many tanks and heaters are there. If you have a lot of tanks, it will make sense. For just a few tanks, it probably won't. One fish room I visited used plastic sheeting to minimize the area being heated, which is a good strategy. It also helped keep the humidity higher, which will help in lowering evaporation.