PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Water Report

matseski
04-14-2016, 08:03 PM
Does anyone have a detailed water report for Fulton County?

I am interested in dabbling with a reef tank so I started looking into RODI systems, but throwing 100g+ of water down the drain every week would significantly increase my water bill. As such, I have read that the local tap water TDS readings are around 100, so even the RODI waste water on a typical system will likely be lower than many people's tap water elsewhere in the country. I have seen the basic annual water report, but it does not include the mineral content. Perhaps the levels are too low to measure, but I just wanted to check my basis before I try this. Does anyone else in the are use RODI waste water in their freshwater tanks?

jimfur80
04-15-2016, 06:36 AM
I bypass the ro and use the a double DI on my systems with a carbon filter also inlieu of the sediment filter, our water has alot of phosphates in them and of course chlorine and/orchloramines, the di takes all these out. I do this also for my saltwater seahorse tank and have no issues.

Jim

Tangfan
04-15-2016, 06:54 AM
I bypass the ro and use the a double DI on my systems with a carbon filter also inlieu of the sediment filter, our water has alot of phosphates in them and of course chlorine and/orchloramines, the di takes all these out. I do this also for my saltwater seahorse tank and have no issues.

Jim

By doing the double DI instead of the RO/DI, does that reduce the level of waste water produced by one of these systems?

jimfur80
04-15-2016, 08:35 AM
I dont have any, and I can make the water twice as fast, if your water is really hard , like up North, it will burn up the DI quickly but ours is soft so it doesn't,I have been doing it this way for years and have never had issues.

Jim

Tangfan
04-15-2016, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the information. I currently do not use either RO/DI or DI water, but I have seen issues with high phosphate in the water causing algae blooms, so it might be worth looking into.

matseski
04-15-2016, 10:47 AM
That's interesting. How many gallons can you put through the DI before it needs replaced?

jimfur80
04-15-2016, 12:03 PM
I change mine every 2 months, I have almost 2,000 gallons in aquariums that I change 20% weekly or bi monthly.

Jim

Wade Lehmann
04-25-2016, 08:04 AM
I just made a long reply and apparently hit the wrong button as it is now gone. But, here is the short version:

I've kept reef tanks since 1998. Ive learned a ton over that time.

1- Do NOT skip the RO/DI. A reef cannot stand excess nutrients. A good RO/DI brings TDS to 0-1.
2- If you use one, use the wastewater to water plants/yard... mine love it.
3- Buy local RO water - a nuisance, but can be done as an option if you don't want the RO.

Wade Lehmann
04-25-2016, 08:05 AM
I should also state that public water systems make their water reports available, just find their website and you will find it. For a nice reef, you need zero nitrate, nitrite, phosphate, and very little silica or iron.

Demonfish
04-26-2016, 03:10 PM
This is the local report. http://www.fultoncountyga.gov/images/stories/WR/water/CCR/CCR2015_web.pdf Obviously they don't test for everything, but our water is mostly rainwater.

heatherbeast
05-18-2016, 08:59 AM
http://www.dekalbwatershed.com/DrinkingWaterQualityReport.html Here is DeKalb county's page -- 2016 report isn't posted just quite yet.

Melissa
05-25-2016, 02:00 PM
I just made a long reply and apparently hit the wrong button as it is now gone. But, here is the short version:

I've kept reef tanks since 1998. Ive learned a ton over that time.

1- Do NOT skip the RO/DI. A reef cannot stand excess nutrients. A good RO/DI brings TDS to 0-1.
2- If you use one, use the wastewater to water plants/yard... mine love it.
3- Buy local RO water - a nuisance, but can be done as an option if you don't want the RO.

I had a 90 reef with sps lps and softies that grew wonderfully. I agree with all of this.
http://www.thefilterguys.biz/ is a good company for filters and replacement media.
In addition to making RO/DI water for my tanks, I split off the RO and plumbed it to a pressurized tank which fed water to my fridge for ice and cold water (using a bypass for the filter inside the fridge), so you can benefit from the filter, as well!
Edit to add: you do not want to drink DI water, so if you do split it off for drinking water, make sure it's split off before the DI media.