PDA

View Full Version : Electric supply for aquariums

zyyoll
04-18-2016, 07:47 AM
I would like some advice on how to assure that my electrical supply for my aquariums is safe and free from fire hazard. I have a single 115 volt A/C outlet for my 3 aquariums, running the filters lights, and heaters. I have 3 simple electric power strips to hold all of my accessory power cords. Is this a good system or do I need to have: (1) an electrician review it; (2) use different electric power strips? What are other aquarists doing? Please keep in mind that I am a small hobbyists. I don't have a fish room with many tanks: just 2 29 gallon- and one 50 gallon tank.

project28
04-18-2016, 08:22 AM
I use these GFCI 5-outlet adapters.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160418/014ed0927512921f53cf1cf9902f6a6d.jpg

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Mog Carns
04-18-2016, 08:32 AM
Don't daisy chain... i.e. don't plug one power strip into another power strip.

When it is at load [with everything running] the plug at the wall should still be cool to the touch. You should not trip the breaker at the house, or the power strip.

If at all possible, mount the power strip to the wall. Ideally, you don't want it to be on the ground if you splash some water for any reason, and you don't want any flammable material to build up around it.

Igster
04-18-2016, 08:55 AM
Also - do NOT plug all those power strips into that multi-outlet. That is the same as "daisy-chaining". To check if you are safe, look at the product info and compare the amperage for which it is rated; then add up the amperage for your individual elements (filter, heater, lights, etc.) ...the total amperage cannot exceed that of the multi-outlet or power strip.

Silver
04-18-2016, 09:33 AM
You will be fine with what u have, now even if u plug some of the stuff in another outlet still the same. on one room 6 recepticals are in the same breaker u don't need an electrician if something goes wrong the breaker on your electrical panel will trip then u just have to turn the breaker back on