PDA

View Full Version : New and in need

crmccomb
04-19-2016, 01:29 PM
I found this group via the planted tank website. Being new to aquariums, I set up a 12 gallon edge about 4 weeks ago. My tank is cycling and I have a good fish population. I have 3 different teyras, 3 platys, and 2 peppered Cory cars. I added 3 amano shrimp. The tank was planted first from plants I purchased via mail from pet solutions, I was unaware of the potential for snail issues. I have been removing as many as possible with a silicone straw attached to a turkey baster, but I am outmatched. I have researched assassin snails and it seems they would help. I am looking for some to buy. I live in the Jasper area and would greatly appreciate any help and advice. Thanks in advance.

Pierre
04-19-2016, 01:47 PM
You can also put a few Khuli loaches... they did clean up my tank and were very happy.

Tangfan
04-19-2016, 01:48 PM
Welcome to the board.

Several people here have assassin snails (I am one of them). Most of us might be low on assassins to sell - we just had our spring auction last weekend so I know I lightened the load in my tank and am not sure how many I have. I am also in Athens which may make it prohibitive.

I am sure others will respond to you.

Demonfish
04-20-2016, 02:04 PM
You can try leaving a piece of lettuce in overnight and pulling it out in the morning, hopefully snail-covered. Also dipping the plants to kill eggs. Excessive snails usually means you are overfeeding a bit.