PDA

View Full Version : angelfish fry and feeding

Gibbletest
04-25-2016, 06:42 PM
I've had these angelfish for a while now, I didn't think any were going to pair up but after I got rid of some other cichlids in the tank at the previous auction, two of the angelfish started spawning. They are still not free swimming yet. My question is do I need bbs as a first food? I don't think I would have time or money to keep up a culture. What I have done with other cichlids fry previously was fry food like hikari first bites and other fine dry foods or ground down pellets. Is this a option for angelfish fry? I would do microworms but my Wife wasn't to happy with the smell the last time I kept them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lindad
04-25-2016, 08:56 PM
I use frozen bbs and Hikari First Bites. So far, the only places I've found the frozen bbs are The Aviarium in Duluth and various Pet Supermarkets, so I buy several packs whenever I see it. If you only have 1 set of fry at a time, the frozen cubes will last you a little while.

Gibbletest
04-25-2016, 08:59 PM
Ok thanks. I will check aviarium.

caricell
04-26-2016, 12:15 AM
While you will have the best results and fastest growing fry with live BBS, you can also purchase a pack of decapsulated BBS from "your fish place" on ebay, and feed that to the fry. I'm currently raising a tank of about 75-80 angel fry on this, and have another batch of 50-60 already hatched and wiggling. They'll get the decap bbs as well. Just have to be careful to feed it sparingly, as a little bit goes a long way and too much will foul the tank and greatly reduce the survival rate.

I have been breeding angels for a few years, and stopped about 6 months ago, but I have a pair that just insisted...so I'm back in it again, at least for now.

I've had these angelfish for a while now, I didn't think any were going to pair up but after I got rid of some other cichlids in the tank at the previous auction, two of the angelfish started spawning. They are still not free swimming yet. My question is do I need bbs as a first food? I don't think I would have time or money to keep up a culture. What I have done with other cichlids fry previously was fry food like hikari first bites and other fine dry foods or ground down pellets. Is this a option for angelfish fry? I would do microworms but my Wife wasn't to happy with the smell the last time I kept them.

Gibbletest
04-26-2016, 08:41 AM
Thanks. I just didn't think they would pair off so quickly. Occasionally I have had cichlids spawn in the tank, this is a first for angelfish. The previous cichlids weren't to difficult but I wasn't to sure about angelfish fry.

Demonfish
04-26-2016, 04:06 PM
There are some really good powders, too. There is azoo artificial artemia and golden pearls from kensfish and superminimax from http://www.fishforums.com/forum/neptune-aquatics/56402-foods-update-new-items.html. You have to be super careful not to overfeed. I like to put a pinch in a glass of tank water and squirt it in the cloud with a turkey baster. Live is best, but always keep powder or frozen on hand for surprise spawns.

Gibbletest
04-26-2016, 04:10 PM
Ok. I have heard of golden pearls before maybe I will check it out. I have some powder food called better than brine on hand, I used the pellets for larger fish but never tried the powder (they gave me a sample).