PDA

View Full Version : Going on vacation

Tropical
04-26-2016, 07:26 AM
I'm going to go on a 15 day vacation in the summer and have a few questions...

I usually fine with fasting the fish, but I've got some fragile fish that I don't know will make it. My friend is taking care of our dog, so coming over a few times a day, and would be willing to feed the fish. I would measure out the food in the weekly pill things so no over feeding. What would be a good schedule for this? Every 3 days? 4 days? I will feed heavily before and do lots of water changes.

I've also heard lowering water temperature can slow metabolism, meaning the fish need less food, is this a good idea?

Lastly my other concern is my live food cultures. I have a daphnia, banana, and microworm cultures. For the worms I guess is start a culture right before I leave and hope they're still alive when I get there? I've got the daphnia in a 5gal bucket, not sure what I'm going to do with them....

Thanks for any help!

aXio
04-26-2016, 08:56 AM
I'm going to go on a 15 day vacation in the summer and have a few questions...

I usually fine with fasting the fish, but I've got some fragile fish that I don't know will make it. My friend is taking care of our dog, so coming over a few times a day, and would be willing to feed the fish. I would measure out the food in the weekly pill things so no over feeding. What would be a good schedule for this? Every 3 days? 4 days? I will feed heavily before and do lots of water changes.

I've also heard lowering water temperature can slow metabolism, meaning the fish need less food, is this a good idea?

Lastly my other concern is my live food cultures. I have a daphnia, banana, and microworm cultures. For the worms I guess is start a culture right before I leave and hope they're still alive when I get there? I've got the daphnia in a 5gal bucket, not sure what I'm going to do with them....

Thanks for any help!

You are already on the right track with the weekly pill organizer. If you are going to have someone feed that is the absolute best way. I even prefer it over a good auto feeder. And you are correct, normally I would just recommend fasting the fish... even for 15 days. But there are some fish that can be the exception to that rule for sure. I think every 4 days should be plenty. They should be fine grazing on algae in-between the feedings.

I'm not a fan of adjusting the temperature. I feel like if this is over done it could do more harm then good and I feel like the difference in their diet will be pretty insignificant unless you substantially lower the temp... which will effect other things like pH, bacteria population, live plants, etc. I would suggest just sticking to the regimented feeding with your dog sitter.

I'm don't have too many suggestions for the food cultures. I agree the worms should be OK with a new culture before you leave. Worst case if some of it dies off there should still be plenty to get the population back up with a new culture when u get home.

Jakub

cswain123
04-26-2016, 03:14 PM
Microworms will make it. They may be a little soupy and smelly when you get back but they'll be good. With the daphnia I guess you have to worry since no feeding and no harvesting the population can get too high and crash. I guess you could split up a few cultures and feed heavily with spirulina. Keep the air going to keep it suspended as long as possible. You wouldn't have to worry about a population crash. Starvation would be the issue. With multiple cultures you'll have better of odds of at least one surviving. Maybe put one outside if you can too.

Tropical
04-26-2016, 04:42 PM
Thanks guys, a random thought occurred to me that since I'm only going to Florida, I could take the worms with me, and "harvest"/feed them lol! Yeah I'm crazy for even considering that! The daphnia are outside and splitting up the culture is a good idea. Do you think they can go 15 days without a water change? I could also get the sitter to feed them....

Every 4 days sounds good, thanks!
And you are right about the temperature, probably not a good idea.

WMartin
04-27-2016, 08:00 PM
About a year ago my wife and I went on vacation and had a friend feed our fish. At the time we had 83 fish. We made the mistake of not measuring out the food and can home to 81 dead fish. There was so much food in the tank the top was completely covered. So I took down all my tanks but 1 and kept the only 2 survivors. A year later I just set up my 75 and joined here. So I learned a valuable lesson and bought an electronic feeder.

Angeredbug
04-27-2016, 08:42 PM
With the daphnia they should be fine with 15 days out. I have my culture outside in a 5 gallon as well and have enough for a daily feeding on my tank during this time of year. Splitting the culture is a great idea or just doing a heavy cull before you leave should be fine. Be careful with the feed because a little too much and it will crash. Too little and they start dropping eggs for times where food is more plentiful.

Tropical
04-27-2016, 10:31 PM
About a year ago my wife and I went on vacation and had a friend feed our fish. At the time we had 83 fish. We made the mistake of not measuring out the food and can home to 81 dead fish. There was so much food in the tank the top was completely covered. So I took down all my tanks but 1 and kept the only 2 survivors. A year later I just set up my 75 and joined here. So I learned a valuable lesson and bought an electronic feeder.

Ouch that's not good! Yeah that's why I'm spacing out the feedings so hard to overfeed.

With the daphnia they should be fine with 15 days out. I have my culture outside in a 5 gallon as well and have enough for a daily feeding on my tank during this time of year. Splitting the culture is a great idea or just doing a heavy cull before you leave should be fine. Be careful with the feed because a little too much and it will crash. Too little and they start dropping eggs for times where food is more plentiful.

I actually just got the daphnia at the auction, so it's still a small amount, and I'm new to daphnia in general...

So just don't feed them during the 2 weeks?

Tropical
05-20-2016, 09:23 PM
Well I got back a day earlier and thankfully everything is still alive! After a rough head count, everyone accounted for, and then some. Surprisingly even with sparse feeding lots of TINY baby shrimp (in a tank with mollies, white clouds and guppies).

Of course, also massive plant growth and 1 tank with so much algae you can barely see the fish.

Thanks to everyone who chipped in:-)

Tropical
05-20-2016, 09:25 PM
I completely forgot to look at my cultures.... Uh-oh!

The worms are alive and booming, the daphnia culture is filled with tons of mosquito larvae. Might still be some daphnia at the bottom.

aXio
05-23-2016, 08:57 AM
Great news! Sometimes it is best to just let nature do it's thing. Glad to hear all was well.

Hilde
05-23-2016, 09:03 PM
Of course, also massive plant growth and 1 tank with so much algae you can barely see the fish.

My plants are what suffer when I leave for a week. The fish I have found did better not being fed.

What did you do to have massive growth while gone? Injecting Co2?

Tropical
05-24-2016, 09:15 AM
Consistency is what helps, I had all my lights on a timer. Normally I turn them on again if someone wants to see the fish, so the lighting is not on a schedule.

It also probably felt like a lot more since you don't notice it as much when you see them everyday.

I don't use any co2, all my tanks are low tech. I use a siesta system of 5 hours on, 4 off, 5 on for the lights. All my tanks with this system have no/very low algae, as the algae needs a longer period of light to start growing. Also allows the co2 to build up(from fish).

Hilde
05-24-2016, 09:27 AM
I don't use any co2, all my tanks are low tech. I use a siesta system of 5 hours on, 4 off, 5 on for the lights.
Got a link to pics?

Tropical
05-24-2016, 12:20 PM
Here are some pictures of my 20G High tanks. Both got a trimming today and rearranged, so not looking too hot...http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160524/d09bf7851e57e32355f154b24725916e.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160524/06e3329f1acd5c9fc83aeaf299ba0044.jpgBut within a week or so they should jump back.

Hilde
05-24-2016, 12:36 PM
..http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160524/d09bf7851e57e32355f154b24725916e.jpg
Very nice!!

The plants in the lower front look like they are suffering. I have found that kelp helps. Decided to start using it for Brightwell Aquatics FlorinAxis has kelp. https://www.swansonvitamins.com/world-organic-liqui-kelp-daily-iodine-2-fl-oz-liquid

Tropical
05-24-2016, 12:39 PM
Yeah they are having a hard time. I got them tissue cultured and they have been adjusting... I planted them in February, and only within the last few weeks have they gotten new green growth! Pygmy chain swords are supposed to be an easy, fast growing low light plant.

That looks interesting, will check it out!