PDA

View Full Version : Will White Clouds interbreed?

Mog Carns
04-26-2016, 02:06 PM
If they are kept in the same tank, does anyone know if Tanichthys albonubes and Tanichthys micagemmae will interbreed and hybridize?
I cannot find anything about it on Google except for some speculation. People have been asking the question since 2009, but no one is answering.

My 75g tank needs a through cleaning, and the idea of refilling it with White Clouds varieties and their Vietnamese cousins is really starting to appeal to me. Maybe some Hillstream Loaches.

cswain123
04-26-2016, 04:21 PM
I'll preface with I can't answer the question lol. I searched as well, even just general genus/species hybridization stuff. It was a giant black hole! I immediately thought that they would. They are the same genus and very similar fish. I then realized I spawned leopard and zebra danios together. I'm still raising the fry so I can't say if they hybridized or not but I really don't think they did. I spawned two separate pairs together in the same tank. I never saw the leopard male following or paying any attention to the zebra female. The danios look more different from each other than the two tanichthys do though. My other thought was cryptoheros and other central american hybrids exist sooo... My question is more of will they try and breed with each other? You could always be the first to experiment and see if you get any hybrids!

Tropical
04-26-2016, 05:36 PM
In addition to what Caleb said, I think they would, but unless you're trying to breed them, I wouldn't worry about it.... Like how everyone always warns about CPDs and emerald dwarf Rasboras, unless you're trying to breed them, I don't think it's an issue since almost all/all will be eaten in a community tank....

mountainman36
04-26-2016, 05:46 PM
So i studied fisheries biology in college. What that told me was that most animals that are in the same family - ie - cichlids...can interbreed, however, obviously a mbuna from africa breeds a lot differently than an angelfish....so they wont do that, but you can get hybrids in fishes in the same GENUS more readily, such as danios, and apistogrammas, and tanichthys....since both fishes inhabit basically the same type of water, and look basically the same, and act mostly the same, chances are very high they they will interbreed. the fact that they are separate species may help prevent that, but they are most likely separate species mainly because they are from a different location, and can not reach each other to contribute genetic material....

So im saying most definitely YES....based upon what i was taught, and want seems to make the most sense.