PDA

View Full Version : fluval pro LED Freshwater and plant fixture flickering

mountainman36
04-29-2016, 08:13 PM
I just go tthis fixture. its pretty brigt but not what i was hoping...regardless it turns off or cycles thru trandomly....i have done some tests and it sems to only happen when another light fixture is plugged in next to it. not even on the same power strip, but just on next to it....i think its because the fixture has a pressure sensitive switch that may actually be a semi electrical sensor......Its been fine, no flicker or turning off for 4 hours. instantly turns off and cycles thru the setings as soon as i plug in another light, t5 fixtures.....

Any ideas? i ordered it online and i am regretting it. i dont think i can send it back....sorry Jakob.

I can use it as a low light fixture, but its not bright enough for lush plant growth...may have to sell it.....anyone have ideas on fixing this or preventing it?

Richard

bluefalcon505
04-29-2016, 08:30 PM
Does the power strip disconnects from the main unit. If so it sounded like what happened with my current USA light and I called the manufacture, they shipped out a new one and the problem went away.

mountainman36
04-29-2016, 08:47 PM
Does the power strip disconnects from the main unit. If so it sounded like what happened with my current USA light and I called the manufacture, they shipped out a new one and the problem went away.

not sure what you are saying about the power strip - i can try connecting the unit directly to an outlet rather than a power strip...

bluefalcon505
04-29-2016, 09:30 PM
not sure what you are saying about the power strip - i can try connecting the unit directly to an outlet rather than a power strip...

It's a power supply cord, which I should have said and it looks like this. But yes they do have issues on power strips as well from what I have read and had it happen once to me. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160430/d590b55bc41ef82bdff338c5f112d65c.jpg

caricell
04-30-2016, 07:40 AM
Try a new power supply.

It's a power supply cord, which I should have said and it looks like this. But yes they do have issues on power strips as well from what I have read and had it happen once to me. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160430/d590b55bc41ef82bdff338c5f112d65c.jpg

mountainman36
04-30-2016, 09:20 AM
tried it out of the power strip, and into the wall. plugged in the other light and its doing it again...gonna try moving the light off of the tank and see

mountainman36
04-30-2016, 11:17 AM
ok - so its fine if the other strip light is not on the tank...its actually funny now - i can rest the light 1/2-2/3 of the way on the tank - away from the switch on the LED light fixture...and its fine...get a another inch or two closer to the switch and it starts turning off again...i may be able to insulate the strip with tin foil, but im gonna call about it.

dannyh
04-30-2016, 10:07 PM
It sounds like it may be interference from the ballast on the fluorescent light is affecting the control on the LED light. If the fluorescent light is old or low quality it may have a magnetic ballast instead of an electronic ballast. The magnetic ballast is a group of copper wound, steel core transformers, that increase and controls the voltage to the light tubes so they will glow. When energized it may set up a magnetic field around it that is affecting the LED light control.
Have you tried any other kind of second fixture on the tank other than a fluorescent, to see if it also causes the LED to cycle through the different modes? (maybe another LED) I also have a deep tank with an LED and a fluorescent fixture behind it, but my LED has a simple 3 way switch on/off/moonlight with no timer or anything.
Just a thought that occurred to me.

mountainman36
05-01-2016, 06:46 AM
It sounds like it may be interference from the ballast on the fluorescent light is affecting the control on the LED light. If the fluorescent light is old or low quality it may have a magnetic ballast instead of an electronic ballast. The magnetic ballast is a group of copper wound, steel core transformers, that increase and controls the voltage to the light tubes so they will glow. When energized it may set up a magnetic field around it that is affecting the LED light control.
Have you tried any other kind of second fixture on the tank other than a fluorescent, to see if it also causes the LED to cycle through the different modes? (maybe another LED) I also have a deep tank with an LED and a fluorescent fixture behind it, but my LED has a simple 3 way switch on/off/moonlight with no timer or anything.
Just a thought that occurred to me.
im sure you are right - some sort of electrical interference. Thing is how do i fix it.....i have tried two fixtures, both old or lower quality and they both make it flicker on off....

aXio
05-01-2016, 11:06 AM
Don't be sorry for trying to get a good deal! Id be crazy to say I don't do the same on a regular basis with other non-aquarium items I buy. Kind of a bummer though... hopefully you can get it to work the way you need it to. I just read through the thread and I don't really have anything else to suggest that the others haven't already, other then calling Hagen/Fluval and asking them about it.

But yes if you got a fixture from me I would just take it back from your with out any questions if you had issues like this! =)