PDA

View Full Version : Corner HMF

bluefalcon505
04-29-2016, 10:40 PM
Has anyone ever did a HMF filter? I have some questions for y'all. I'm going to be doing a corner HMF in a 20L tank and will be setting it up for shrimp. What is a good fish that will get along with them? I'm mainly going to be doing driftwood and moss, but what kind of low maintenance plants that will be good to use. Also keep in mind I am going to want to do pool sand or something along those lines for the substrate. Which the substrate is going to placed around in front of filter. What do you feed your shrimps?

Tropical
04-29-2016, 11:25 PM
As in a Hamburg Matten filter?
Shrimp and endlers go well together, the shrimplets have survived in my set up.

Nano Rasboras (Kubotai, chilli, exclamation point, strawberry, ) and tetras such as ember would do great with adult shrimp, however I'm not sure if they're completely shrimplet safe.

My shrimp love spirulina wafers, zucchini and carrot. Repashy is supposed to be loved by them as well...

Tangfan
04-30-2016, 02:18 AM
Many people also keep Java fern with their shrimp. I just have Java moss in my tank, which is mostly bear bottom. Sand should work fine, as would most substrates.

Shrimp need mostly a plant based food, with occasional high protein.

From what I've read, the Neo's like it slightly cooler than the Cardinias. Both need a little kH in the water. I occasional get some of my crush coral substrate into their tank which I believe helps increase this. Drift wood and Indian almond leaves are frequently found in shrimp tanks to give more surface area for natural food sources to propagate.

Only 1 type of neo or cardina should be kept if breeding and you can keep the 2 types together without crossing.

bluefalcon505
04-30-2016, 06:53 AM
Yes it's going to be a Hamburg matten filter.