PDA

View Full Version : Rubbernose Pleco Fry!

awflip
05-15-2016, 03:42 PM
Hey all, my 2 Rubbernose Plecos laid some more eggs! This time some of them hatched and are still alive!!! Here's an album of their progression (http://imgur.com/a/A4d7Y)!

I am feeding Cobalt Color Enhancing flakes (justy for the past ~ 1-2 weeks, changed from Tetramin color flakes) and Hikari Mini Algae Wafers.

Garfieldnfish
05-15-2016, 06:15 PM
That is awesome. Put me down for a couple of the kids when you are ready to sell them.

Tangfan
05-15-2016, 07:03 PM
Congrats. Glad a few have survived

mountainman36
05-15-2016, 07:14 PM
thats a big deal! way to go. i did research on them breeding and didnt find much info. Please share your methods!!

aXio
05-15-2016, 07:35 PM
Yes very nice accomplishment! Plecos aren't easy to breed in general, but these are definitely considered to be difficult in comparison. I would also love to see some more information on the tank, tank mates, lighting, water change/maintenance schedule, etc. if you don't mind sharing with us! Love the progression photos!

awflip
05-16-2016, 02:56 PM
Yes very nice accomplishment! Plecos aren't easy to breed in general, but these are definitely considered to be difficult in comparison. I would also love to see some more information on the tank, tank mates, lighting, water change/maintenance schedule, etc. if you don't mind sharing with us! Love the progression photos!

Here are some pictures of my dirted 55 long and what's in it: http://imgur.com/a/54289 (old pics though, I will update soon)

INFO: I set this tank up in February 2015, with ~1" of dirt capped with ~1" of coal slag (basically black sand) and a 48" 10,000K LED bar. I did my best to mineralize the dirt, but I didn't have the time to dry it completely, so I really don't know how well it worked; this is my first experience with dirt and second planted tank. I did my best to emulate the Walstad method, but with my limited experience I had no idea what to expect. I planted everything, filled up the tank. The next morning I found an algae bloom, so thick you couldn't see two inches into the tank. I did a lot of water changes and let the plants do their thing, and after a few weeks it was barely cloudy at all!

LIVESTOCK: I have 1 Khuli Loach, 2 Rubbernose Plecos, 1 Siamese Algae Eater, and 2 Platys and a bunch of Guppy/Endler's Livebearer's hybrids (probably ~100). alongside Ramshorn, Malaysian Trumpet and Assassin Snails. I have a few pond snails too, but I almost never see them. Somehow I also have aphids and water-mites.

PLANTS: dwarf lily, Jungle Val, Water Wisteria, water sprite, crypt wendtii (variations of green and bronze), anubias, anacharis, java fern, water lettuce, duckweed, and I'm sure there's some Christmas Moss and Subwassertang floating around in there somewhere...

As far as water changes go, I'm pretty lazy with it.. I'll usually take out 5-10 gallons every other week, along with ~5 gallon top off each week. I hadn't changed water in about a month the first time they laid eggs. I don't test my water either, I just look at my plants and fish and determine if they're happy! apparently its working hahaha

Tropical
05-16-2016, 06:02 PM
Cute little guys! Tank looks really nice, I want to try a dirted tank one day.

aXio
05-16-2016, 06:07 PM
As far as water changes go, I'm pretty lazy with it.. I'll usually take out 5-10 gallons every other week, along with ~5 gallon top off each week. I hadn't changed water in about a month the first time they laid eggs. I don't test my water either, I just look at my plants and fish and determine if they're happy! apparently its working hahaha

Sometimes the best thing to do is just let the tank be! The spike in nutrients from less frequent water changes might be the trick you never know. Sometimes it's just pure luck! Thank you for sharing.

mountainman36
05-16-2016, 07:46 PM
Sometimes the best thing to do is just let the tank be! The spike in nutrients from less frequent water changes might be the trick you never know. Sometimes it's just pure luck! Thank you for sharing.
from what i have heard thats exactly it. frequent water changes, then nothing for a while, then massive frequent changes. It mimics the rainy season and dry season, then rainy season again