PDA

View Full Version : Black Moscow Guppy Fry Questions

Garfieldnfish
05-17-2016, 06:57 PM
I removed the mother from the main tank a few days ago because she was extremely fat. Just found 6 fry in the 10 gal I put her into. I returned her to the main guppy tank. Is 6 all she will have or what is the average batch for one female guppy? Also I have micro worms, banana worms, vinegar eels and grindal worms as well as fry powder and crushed flakes. Never had guppys before but these fry look large enough to eat grindals. About 5 times the size CPDs are when free swimming.
Any advice is welcome.

Tropical
05-17-2016, 08:15 PM
I think the average size is around 20-30, but can be higher.

Guppies are known to eat their fry, so I'm thinking she ate the rest of them...

mountainman36
05-17-2016, 08:31 PM
yes, usually you get a few more, but she may have eaten them, she may not....yes, they are a lot larger. Its all a reproductive strategy. most egg layers have smaller fry to start, but many many more. most live bearers have large fry, but few. larger fry have better survival rates, but the sheer numbers of fry with egg layers make sure that at least some survive

Garfieldnfish
05-17-2016, 08:45 PM
I found another one so there are 7 survivors and possible a few more that are still hiding. Since I don't want to be overrun with guppys, this smaller batch suits me just fine.
I have 1 female and 2 males so this should keep the numbers manageable.

Demonfish
05-18-2016, 11:47 AM
Guppies are born large enough to eat flake, but will happily eat live foods. Young guppies have small batches that get bigger as they do. Wild guppies have only a few fry, while a very large "feeder" type domestic can have 50. Guppy breeders select for large batches as well as color. I don't think you need to worry about being overrun, black moscow are so attractive you can put them up on the forum and people will come get them.

numsjr@gmail.com
05-18-2016, 02:13 PM
I've been breeding guppies for over a year. They can drop up to 100 babies within a 24 hour mark and give birth up to 3 or 4 months after one happy night.
Ratio's of 3 female to one male are suggested to avoid a male chasing a female to her death bed. Breeder Boxes or lots of surface cover/decor's help with survival rates (yes they will eat their young.)

Garfieldnfish
05-18-2016, 03:20 PM
After reading this, I removed both males from the 10 gal I had kept the reverse trio in. They are now in a 29 gal with some weitzmani corys. I left the female guppy in the 10 gal as I noticed too that both males were chasing her relentlessly today, guess they think she needs to be pregnant right away again. I strongly disagree. The 8 fry (I found another one) are in a 15 gal with some otos and cory fry. They can stay in there for a little while but there is a lot of current in this tank and they do not seem to be very strong swimmers. How long before I can move the fry safely into the tank with their mother? I plan on keeping males in one tank and females in another once they grow up and put a pair together in a tank once in a while for selective breeding. Do I read this right that the gestation period is 3 to 4 months? That seems like a long time for fish.

Tropical
05-18-2016, 05:34 PM
Once they are about 4-6 weeks old they should be big enough not to be eaten.

They usually give birth every 4-5 weeks, and can birth several batches with just one mating.