PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on chemicals.

bluefalcon505
05-19-2016, 10:17 AM
While at Petsmart to pick up couple things and saw aqueon plant food and API CO2 Booster for plants supplements. What is y'all thought on these items? Which they're on sale at cheap price.

ronv
05-19-2016, 12:54 PM
If they are " on sale at cheap price " it probably means no one is buying that produce. Maybe for a reason...

Tropical
05-19-2016, 04:44 PM
Api co2 booster is like Flourish Excel, if not the same. It's an excellent source of carbon for plants.

The other one is a liquid fertilizer, like regular Seachem Flourish But IMO it is a waste of money and grows algae in a low tech tank.

I would make sure they're not expired, but otherwise I don't think there is a problem.

bluefalcon505
05-19-2016, 07:04 PM
They're "on sale at cheap prices" because they have them on "sale" doesn't necessarily mean they're not been bought. It simply means they are on sale. They carry this product all the time, which I just never used them before and only used seachem flourish. So that's why I was wondering what's y'alls opinion. They're weren't expired, but I picked up the aqueon to give it try and see how it does.

HN1
05-19-2016, 07:35 PM
In my opinion, in this case you get what you pay for. I've used and been generally happy with Seachem products, but I've always found MARS stuff to be hit and miss. Could be even cheaper to mix your own ferts and add DIY CO2. If needed at all.

bluefalcon505
05-19-2016, 07:58 PM
Never did a DIY co2 unit before, but that's would be a challenge for me and I like the idea. What kind of fert would mix?

Tropical
05-19-2016, 10:09 PM
I'm personally a big fan of only using root fertilizers, no liquid at all for a basic tank.
All plants will do well with it and some leaks into the water column for floating plants and the like. Of course if you have a high light/CO2 tank you need different fertilizers.

I use Osmocote root tabs, you can get them of EBay or make your own.

DIY Co2 is somewhat cheaper as its less initial cost, but on the long run its a lot more work and more expensive than a "Real" co2 system. Lots of videos on YouTube about DIY co2 and the planted tank forum.

Btw, a random fact MARS owns both API and M&Ms chocolate!