PDA

View Full Version : Starting a new tank, possibly cichlids?

Bswink
06-06-2016, 08:57 AM
I'm about to start another tank, 36g bowfront. Is this big enough for dwarf cichlids? I've done the community tank but I love the look of the rocks, DIY caves and sand for cichlids and I've been researching for a while and getting mixed reviews about the tank size, overstock or not to overstock and which lakes can be combined in 1 tank. Would love to know your experienced opinion about 1- tank size and 2- how many can I get and which combos for the most interesting tank.

thanks!
Beth

Mog Carns
06-06-2016, 09:36 AM
Dwarf Cichlids is a little too broad a subject to even begin answering... from the description, I think you might be talking about Lake T shell dwellers.

Do you have a specific species you like? Given that as a starting point, someone can answer your questions about the suitability, or a similar species that might be better served.

Tangfan
06-06-2016, 10:15 AM
When I think of Dwarf Cichlids, the ones that pop into my mind our Neolamprologus species from Lake Tanganyika or Apistos and German Rams from South America. In both cases, one can properly select individual species that would do well in a 36 gallon bow front. You mention sand and caves, which makes me lean towards the Africans. If you were to do Africans in this type of set-up, I would probably lean to N. Similis, Multipunctatus or Caudopunctatus. You can also possible go with a pair of N. Buescheri or Leluepi in this size tank, but if you put in more than a pair, you would see aggression between them. With any of these species selections, I would only make it a species tank.

If you go South American, in a 36, along with the Apistos or Rams, you could add in some type of open water fish (tetras some to mind) for the top part of the tank.

Bswink
06-06-2016, 10:55 AM
Mog, sorry for being so broad with my question. I've been reading a lot of forums and I start focusing on one species, then see several posts that make me rethink so I'm just overwhelmed with the possibilities. I guess what I'm asking is: this size tank would probably only hold a pair of one (relatively passive) species, then add community fish like tetras? what about a red tail shark? angelfish? I like the N. Similis and Caudopunctatus that Tangfan mentioned.

Bswink
06-06-2016, 10:58 AM
Tangfan,
Thanks for the options, I like your suggestions. I'm trying to avoid too much aggression, a pair of N. Similis or Caudopunctatus sound like a good start... I don't want to get in over my head but I'm ready to get a little more interesting than mollies and guppies. :smile:

likestofish
06-06-2016, 11:02 AM
I got some dwarf flag cichlids, laetacara curviceps. They haven't grown larger than about 2 inches.

Bswink
06-06-2016, 11:27 AM
do you buy from LFS or via this forum?

likestofish
06-06-2016, 11:31 AM
I bought them from this forum, I have 4 left with 2 being a proven pair and the others probably being the same gender.

Tangfan
06-06-2016, 12:43 PM
Tangfan,
Thanks for the options, I like your suggestions. I'm trying to avoid too much aggression, a pair of N. Similis or Caudopunctatus sound like a good start... I don't want to get in over my head but I'm ready to get a little more interesting than mollies and guppies. :smile:

I have seen several people on here with Multis listed for sale, just a few with Caudopunctatus for sale (none recently that I recall) and I think I have only seen similis once. I think the last one I saw listing Multis for sale was Pierre.

I must admit, I am into the Tangs very much (who would guess from my name LOL), but the only one of the species I have are the Buescheri (2 different varieties, slightly different looks). I do love the way these guys look.

likestofish
06-06-2016, 01:14 PM
I've seen Pierre selling similis before but don't know if he has any instock right now

Bswink
06-06-2016, 01:44 PM
I really appreciate all the info today, I'm picking up my new-to-me tank from CL this weekend so I have time to plan the fish - then think about the tank layout. I'll keep an eye on the forums to see what's for sale since I trust real fish hobbyist over LFS teenagers any day! :snicker:

caricell
06-06-2016, 01:54 PM
I have plenty of multis for sale.

PM me if interested.

Larry

I really appreciate all the info today, I'm picking up my new-to-me tank from CL this weekend so I have time to plan the fish - then think about the tank layout. I'll keep an eye on the forums to see what's for sale since I trust real fish hobbyist over LFS teenagers any day! :snicker:

Bswink
06-07-2016, 02:00 PM
And in only a day my ideal tank has gone from a 36 to a 55, I will be picking it up this weekend and couldn't be more excited! :clap:

aXio
06-07-2016, 02:22 PM

Hey who you calling a LFS teenager?! =)

mountainman36
06-07-2016, 08:16 PM
Hey who you calling a LFS teenager?! =)

hahahahah.maybe a trip to a real store is in his future????

Tangfan
06-08-2016, 07:08 AM
Premier is an excellent store. I took a "field trip" there this past weekend.

Bswink
06-08-2016, 10:30 AM
lol sorry aXio, the LFS near me don't have very knowledgeable fish people, unfortunately. Saw on CL some type of Fish Hobbyist event in Jonesboro this Saturday, is anyone going?

Tangfan
06-08-2016, 10:59 AM
lol sorry aXio, the LFS near me don't have very knowledgeable fish people, unfortunately. Saw on CL some type of Fish Hobbyist event in Jonesboro this Saturday, is anyone going?

There might be a few people from this group who do end up going. the "meeting" is at a fish store called Fish Bolz and he does have some interesting fish at times. From what I have seen on the Facebook page there will be a decent gathering of people. The gatherings are not a true meeting, but more of an adhoc get together where people will discuss fish in small groups and there will be some people selling various items.

HN1
06-08-2016, 12:24 PM

The club picnic is also this weekend (Sunday @ 12). Feel free to come chat fish and eat!

Bswink
06-13-2016, 12:50 PM
Well, I picked up my 55g this weekend, it's awesome and the guy was getting out of the hobby so he gave me EVERYTHING he had so now I have enough filters, heaters, decorations etc to set up 10 tanks! :snicker: For better or worse, he also asked me to take his 2 convicts. I was hoping to have a more colorful, less aggressive tank and from what I've been reading, there really aren't any fish that can live in this tank with the convict pair.

1. A friend has a 75g with bala sharks, angels and skirted tetras - could 1 convict be moved in there or will it still be too aggressive?
2. If I can move 1 convict, could the other live semi-peacefully with other cichlids? possibly peacocks?

thanks,
Beth

Bswink
06-13-2016, 12:52 PM

A couple pics so far

joecoulson
11-07-2016, 06:48 PM
That's a great start!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bswink
11-28-2016, 01:39 PM
5119Thanks! It has since changed ALOT! Peacocks and haps in the tank now, also changed out to sand and the ceramic rocks that are each a cave - I LOVE this tank!!

joecoulson
11-29-2016, 06:28 AM
Great contrast. I like !