PDA

View Full Version : Seed shrimp explosion

Angeredbug
06-18-2016, 06:54 PM
I have a tank that was originally cycled using fish. After moving the fish to a larger tank I made the smaller tank a fry tank. It worked well. I feed my fish a lot of live food( daphnia, mosquito larvae, and seed shrimp). After all my fry grew up I made the tank into a shrimp tank. Everything is going great with my colony of rcs except that there must have been a few seed shrimp that the fry missed. Checked today and the glass is covered with white dots. Can't find anything to use to get rid of the seed shrimp that would not also get rid of my cherries. Anyone have any ideas. They aren't affecting my levels yet but am afraid if they keep up how they are they might.

Garfieldnfish
06-18-2016, 09:48 PM
Feed the shrimp less and the seed shrimp numbers will go down.

Tropical
06-18-2016, 10:39 PM
What are seed shrimp?

Angeredbug
06-18-2016, 11:09 PM
Seed shrimp are i believe also called ostracods. I've cut feeding way down but I think the seed shrimp are eating the algae just like the rcs are. They just reproduce faster. Never had such a clean looking tank. I'll try and cut back some more and make sure I siphon out alot with water changes.

Mog Carns
06-20-2016, 09:35 AM
Bring the seed shrimp to the meetings. We will buy them.

Angeredbug
06-20-2016, 08:26 PM
Would love to make a meeting but with a two year old and a second on the way at any time. Not able to. But if anyone lives north of the city and would like a starter please let me know. Got vinegar eels as well. Free or trade.