PDA

View Full Version : Protecting carpet?

Samong
07-01-2016, 05:27 PM
I have a 75 gallon aquarium; when I move I will be moving from concrete flooring to wood joists, wood subflooring, and carpet. Since I am renting, what can I put down underneath the tank+stand to protect the flooring from inevitable splashes and spills? Affordable options preferred, but I can't always get everything I want. :P

bluefalcon505
07-01-2016, 07:03 PM
Plastic runner mates. You can get it cut to length you want at Home Depot.

Leeatl
07-01-2016, 08:04 PM
I have now and in the past had tanks on carpet . The spill issue is something to be a little concerned about , just be extra cautious . My biggest concern has always been the fact that a tank will flatten the carpet where it sits . I put mine an a piece of plywood or OSB , so at least it is a large flat spot...easier to fluff back up than the mark the rim of the stand will make . Hope that helps .

Samong
07-03-2016, 12:10 PM
I probably need to build a new stand or cannibalize parts from my current one. The previous tank's owner built it and it's basically just a lumber rim under the tank, four legs, and a bracing lumber rim that isn't set on the ground (Why? No one knows). Maybe cut off the short feet and screw some plywood to the bottom; then I can have support and a shape to fluff vs a squashed line. Thanks for this tip, I wouldn't have thought about the flat carpet at ALL.

Thanks also for the plastic runner idea. I had COMPLETELY forgotten that was a thing that existed and I was going mad trying to find affordable sheet vinyl flooring or a rubber mat that would fit.

aXio
07-03-2016, 01:04 PM
I would be VERY careful putting anything under the tank at all. We have only had bad things happen with using mats, foam, plastics, anything really. The problem is if you put a plastic/rubber mat on the ground that spilled water is going to get in between the carpet and mat and just sit there. The mat won't let it dry out properly and you end up with nasty moldy carpet.

Same exact thing will happen in my opinion if you do what Leeatl suggested. The stands are built that way for a reason. The weight is only supposed to be supported on the outside edge of the stand. If you put an entirely flat piece of plywood down as the base you are doing the same thing as the plastic/rubber mat. You will take away any space for air to get in there and let the carpet "breath" and dry out.

If you are worried about leaking canister filters then sit them in a large kitty litter box that can catch any spilled or leaking water.

I can not stress enough how strongly I recommend not putting anything down at all. The carpet will dry out a lot quicker then you realize. We service over 900 aquariums in the southeast now... NONE of them use mats/plastic on carpet. And as mentioned before anytime we have ever used it per the customers insistence it ended up ruining the carpet completely because of the mentioned reasons above.

Garfieldnfish
07-03-2016, 05:59 PM
Renters insurance and buy a new carpet when you move.

Leeatl
07-03-2016, 06:30 PM
To each his own .

Demonfish
07-03-2016, 11:02 PM
There is a mat that is absorbent on one side and waterproof on the other. They sell them for aquariums and Christmas trees. A good idea to use one when changing water or moving stuff in the tank to catch drips.

You do get flat spots on the carpet under the feet.

I've had a few soaked carpets, and lots of towels followed by lots of fans is what I did. Though, you can rent a "rug doctor" or try to suck up liquid with a shop vac also.

You never want two vapor barriers together. If they ever get wet in between, you'll have mold.

I suppose you could try something like a washer pan, with a drain and a pump to a sink you'd be pretty safe, but this is pricey.

You can also get an alarm that will sound when it gets wet and put it under the tank.

Although some landlords and paranoid and only allow 10 gallon tanks or require a pet deposit, most serious spills are caused by undetected leaks in plumbing that dump hundreds of gallons over time. Get renters insurance and you should be covered (be sure to ask).

Open stands are good. Most of the nastiness I've seen in under tanks is in totally enclosed, furniture-quality stands that never let the hot, humid air leave, these would be helped by a fan.

Mog Carns
07-06-2016, 12:59 PM
For canisters, go to 5 Below. They usually have thich rubber 10gallon baskets