PDA

View Full Version : Rescued betta gets prettier by the day!

songsparrow
07-10-2016, 09:04 PM
I just had to share with some other fish lovers who might appreciate the story!

On my daughter's last day of school, she came home with a betta that she rescued from her biology class. Nobody else wanted to take the pitiful creature. He was not well cared for, and he was a muddy brown color with ragged, clamped fins. He would barely eat - my daughter had to crush his pellets into powder.

We moved him into an emergency 3 gallon bowl and within a few days added a heater and then upgraded him to a 5 gallon Fluval Spec V tank.

He almost immediately began to color up with a lovely shade of red. The color intensified even more after we added the heater. Within a week, his fins were healing nicely and they are now all healed. His color continues to develop, and he is now red over gold and blue undertones, which creates shades of copper and purple as he swims. He has a beautiful veil tail and as he swims bands of gold and purple appear to run across it. This week, his blue coloring is deepening and spreading.

He has turned into a gorgeous little fish! No more clamped fins, and he is eating enthusiastically!

Here's a somewhat blurry picture:

Tropical
07-11-2016, 09:05 PM
Awesome job, he looks really handsome!

Does he have a name?

HN1
07-11-2016, 09:27 PM
Good on you and your daughter! Nice fish.

Our VP happens to be doing a talk for the next meeting that might be great for y'all (and the unnamed teacher).

The July AAAA meeting is July 23rd at Premier Aquatics in Marietta.
Brianna Mercer is giving her talk "Taking the Plunge: Venturing into Aquariums" for people who are ready to start their first freshwater tank. This talk will be great for kids, educators, parents or anyone who is new to keeping fish.

songsparrow
07-12-2016, 02:55 PM
My daughter named him Peanut. :smile:

I'd love to come to the meeting but we live too far away. We'll have to be online supporters.