PDA

View Full Version : RCS Shrimp Tank Optimal Parameters

jba6511
07-15-2016, 04:15 PM
I tested my GH and KH of my tank I am trying to house RCS in with the API test strip. I got a reading of GH 30 (1.7) and KH 0. I also recently lost one of my 3 RCS and it had a crack in its shell on the back, like it was trying to molt. I have some aquavitro calcification on hand, but it says it is for reefs. The ingredients are calcium chloride and calcium gluconate. Can this be used to raise the KH or is there something else I should look into. Also, what can I do to raise GH? Based on the research I have done, GH should be between 6-8 and KH between 2-5. Appreciate any advice.

HN1
07-15-2016, 11:26 PM
I would add some chicken grit into the filter, but there are more sophisticated approaches.

Garfieldnfish
07-16-2016, 05:01 AM
I use Salty Shrimp GH+, oyster shell tablets for calcium and a few drops of iodine. But RCS are usually not fuzzy when it comes to water perimeters. They adjust to a wide range. Do you use R/O water or tap water?

jba6511
07-16-2016, 06:31 AM
I am just using tap water at the moment that I treat with prime and put in a large rubbermaid with a powerhead until I need to do top offs / water changes. I also have some equilibrium that I could use to raise GH but was not sure if that was ok with RCS. I was reading about crushed coral in the filter as well but did not want to have to guess at the amount. I have some iodine on hand as well. Open to suggestions on what the best route to go would be and appreciate the help so far.

For the chicken grit, I assume it works the same as the oyster shells or crushed coral, or am I incorrect in this assumption?

Tropical
07-16-2016, 09:18 AM
Yes, all buffer the water, just different dosages.

I think chicken grit contains oyster shells actually.

Pierre
07-16-2016, 09:46 AM
The chicken grits I get is from tractor supply and it is both crushed coral and oyster... HOWEVER, read the label first because some add granite to it.
In my mind, water temp is important as I notice my shrimp do best when temps is less than 76.

jba6511
07-16-2016, 11:30 AM
Thanks, is there a big difference going salty shrimp versus chicken grit? I would imagine you would have to use trial and error to determine the correct amount with the chicken grit.

HN1
07-16-2016, 01:18 PM
Any natural buffer you add will only buffer so much regardless of amount used. Crushed coral or similar will only deteriorate to the degree your water parameters determine. Surface area can matter, but isn't like to in most applications. What do you mean by "salty"?

Garfieldnfish
07-16-2016, 03:39 PM
Salty Shrimp GH+ is the brand name but it has nothing to do with salt water. It is made for fresh water shrimp. I add enough to bring my TDS to 120 other than that I don't check the water. That seems to work well for me but I use R/O water so with your tap water that really depends on the water values in the first place as to how much you should add. I would not recommend equilibrium for a shrimp tank. I have heard on the planted tank that shrimp do not do well with it. I use equilibrium in my fish and but not in my shrimp tanks.

jba6511
07-17-2016, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the help so far. I tested my water after being treated with prime and sitting in the rubbermaid with a powerhead for a few days and the TDS was around 60. The I order some salty shrimp and picked up some chicken grit and RO water I plan to re-mineralize. Between the chicken grit, mineralized RO and treated tap water I am hoping I can get everything in check.