PDA

View Full Version : Worms in freshwater tank

jba6511
07-17-2016, 12:01 PM
Can anyone help ID these worms? They are white and in wiggling around in the water column. They do not appear to have the triangle shaped heads or stick to the glass. They are in one tank only that only houses inverts, but seem to be multiplying. The snails and shrimp do not seem to mind them. Sorry for the poor quality video.

https://vid.me/ZNqv

HN1
07-17-2016, 12:32 PM
My guess would be planaria. Usually a sign of overfeeding / under cleaning. Increased water changes and aggressive substrate cleaning usually takes care of it. I had the same trouble in my shrimp tanks because I was always overly cautious vacuuming the gravel.

Garfieldnfish
07-17-2016, 12:42 PM
My guess would be detritus worms. If they are planaria they would attach themselves to the glass walls at some point and they do not wriggle as much as the worms in the video. Planaria are not good to have in shrimp tanks. Detritus worms are a sign of overfeeding as well but harmless. Most small fish will readily eat detritus worms but not planaria. But you can easily kill planaria with Safe Guard goat dewormer.

heatherbeast
07-17-2016, 02:54 PM
I second the detritus worm ID.

jba6511
07-17-2016, 04:52 PM
If they are detritus worms, anything I can do to get rid of them or reduce the numbers or will water changes take care of some of it? I understand they are not an issue and can be considered beneficial, but just look unsightly in the tank swimming around everywhere. I would like to keep the tank limited to shrimp and snails if possible.

Garfieldnfish
07-17-2016, 07:50 PM
Feed less and they will go away.