PDA

View Full Version : Pearl Gouramis-- bubble nest builders?

zyyoll
07-17-2016, 06:26 PM
Last week I bought a pair of Pearl Gouramis and transferred them to the big tank after 1 week in the refugium. I noticed a lot of surface bubbles in the refugium and wondered if the gouramis were responsible for them. (the other fish in the refugium were SAEs, otos and rasbora).

If they are bubble nest builders would it be better to keep them in a separate tank and see if they would produce fry? If so what are their requirements? Just curious. I have no record of success with other than livebearers.

aXio
07-17-2016, 09:49 PM
They are indeed bubble nest builders. I've never bred Gourami before so I can't help much there. Typically with most fish it is better to separate them when breeding is the goal. Pearl Gourami are a very beautiful fish.

djramsey
07-18-2016, 07:05 AM
Male mostly builds the nest. Female will decide when the spawning starts. Male has much bigger finnage and the dorsal is pointed. Female is more subdued and has rounded dorsal. After spawning the male takes over. Can get rough with the female is she can not get out of his sight. Hundreds and hundreds of fry. Incredibly small fry and mouths. Incredible to watch the spawning if you get the chance. Very fun fish. I would put them on the list of fish that everyone should have and spawn at least once.

ronv
07-19-2016, 03:48 PM
I have spawned this fish in the past. They are not hard to spawn but the babies are hard to raise because they are very small. You will need infusoria as a first food