PDA

View Full Version : Newsletter

Mog Carns
07-20-2016, 02:34 PM
This was in the most recent newsletter...

I have returned from the fabulous American Cichlid Association convention outsideof Cincinnati. If you have an interest in cichlids you would have enjoyed it. Plus thereis a lot of other things to see, do and eat and drink in the Cincinnati area.

Unfortunately life jumped in front of the convention and they had to change the locationand the date very very late. It collided with the NANFA Discus Convention. Iknow there are going to be a lot of hard feelings there. But short of cancelling I don’tknow what else the ACA could have done. I hope the Discus Convention went well.

I picked up a lot of dates for other events this year and next. Check them out. Try togo to some. You come back from any of them refreshed and excited about the fishkeeping hobby. You talk to people with the same interest, see all the cool new stuff,and see fish you won’t see anywhere else.

The club still has several positions open that will need people to step up and get involved.It isn’t nearly as painful as you may think. It is a lot easier than it is to explainthe black eye and forehead bruises from walking into something playing Pokemon.

Thank you to Tom Koranda and Ken Seider for sending in some material forthe newsletter.

QUESTION FOR EVERYONE. SERIOUSLY.
IS THE NEWSLETTER IRRELEVANT?
THE LACK OF MATERIAL, EVEN REPORTING FROM THE OFFICERSMAKES ME THINK SO.
MAYBE JUST SEND OUT A NOTICE OF THE NEXT MEETING INFO ISALL YOU WANT?
OR MAYBE DROP THE WHOLE THING?
DO WE NEED A NEW EDITOR TO GET PEOPLE INVOLVED AGAIN?
From the Editor…David Ramsey

The newsletter is a little PDF document that AAAA members in good standing, and that have provided a correct email address to the club.

Personally, I get a little excited every time I get an email from Mr. Ramsey. The first page is a extremely nice photograph of whatever he thinks is nice. There are usually some more photos spread through, a recap of the last meeting, a little blurb from Mr. Ramsey, the BAP chair, and the HAP chair about what is going on in their lives. Sometimes the Pres or VP has something to add, and there might be an article from one of the members. Add in some convention information, a little advertising, and the expiring memberships; and that rounds out the newsletter.

Who wouldn't want that? It gives you a little extra jolt of fish (and non fish) about two weeks out from the meetings. A good number of people depend upon it to know when their membership expires. There is a nice section of upcoming fish conventions that I know I will never be able to go to...

OPINION PORTION ---------------------------------------

Irrelevant is the wrong word. It is outmoded.

It is emailed out, and thus faces all of the problems emails face... Mr. Ramsey has to be given the emails in the first place. He has to maintain a list of emails. People change emails. They get stuck in spam filters. A slight typo is the same as never sending it.

Most of the content is probably better served on Facebook. The best parts of it, such as the pictures and the blurbs, are basically what made Facebook popular. The meeting recaps are probably some of the best content to place there.

We do not really have the membership to support a newsletter with articles. The few that we do get would likely be better served here on the forums where they can be discussed, and referred too, in the future. It is a shame that some, like "Breeding Big Box Store Fish", are so difficult to go back to and reread. Buy/Sell/Trade already made its way here.

HAP and BAP ladders, and expiring memberships, are tailor made for Google Docs... giving everyone the ability to view and a select group of people the ability to modify; anytime from anywhere on anything. You can link it off a sticky on the forums.

As for another editor... I believe you deserve an ovation for keeping it alive as long as it has. Truthfully, I doubt anyone else would have been able.

HN1
07-20-2016, 05:15 PM
The newsletter itself isn't the issue IMO. As you pointed out, the delivery method creates issues and requires regular maintenance. I love the newsletter and always have. I would like to see the newsletters eventually published in a members only section on the website. Of course that is a long pole and not one that can be quickly implemented, but I think it would serve our needs better in addition to being easier to maintain. The newsletter and ideas for promoting it will be discussed at Saturday's BOD meeting.

bluefalcon505
07-20-2016, 05:57 PM
I like the newsletter for easy reference, as after period post get lost of any forum of social media. So if there's a newsletter has a good article about something you like and it's easy to be able to kind them.

Tropical
07-21-2016, 10:38 AM
I love the newsletter as well and get excited to see it in my inbox as well!

It's interesting to see events and conventions, as well as meeting recaps and HAP and BAP.

I wish we had a database on the website to view all of them, or at least sorted by article(split the newsletter up) for future references. I have no clue how complicated that would be, so not sure if that is realistic. I heard the ARC is planning on putting a lot of content on their site for paid members (recordings of their meetings, newsletters), that's one reason why I joined their club, as a lot of material to learn about saltwater.

Someday I will write an article:)