PDA

View Full Version : DIY Water conditioner?

Tropical
07-24-2016, 10:51 AM
I saw this video on YouTube and am thinking of doing this. They use sodium thiosulfate to remove chlorine. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PatKcvzdHBU

I am curious about a few things though...
1) Most of Georgia is chlorine only treated right? No chloramines?
2) In the comments someone said that it will remove the chlorine in chloramines, and the ammonia will be taken care of by the biofilter. That seems to be the exact opposite of what Seachem Prime does, so I'm kind of skeptical as it will cause ammonia spikes...

Anyone use sodium thiosulfate?

Demonfish
07-24-2016, 12:31 PM
1. We have no chloramine right now, but there is no requirement that they warn you if/when they switch. Some places will add it after a high bacteria test.

2. That's the active ingredient in most dechlors. The cheapest possible dechlor is usually just that in a little water. Decades ago when chloramine first came out I killed fish with water changes. We ended up pre-treating water in a big plastic garbage can and running a box filter for 24 hours to deal with the ammonia released by the dechlor. Prime doesn't destroy the ammonia, but supposedly "detoxifies" it until the bio filter deals with it. I've also read to use a double dose of thiosulfate where chloramine is present.

I think if you are pretreating the water any way (to heat it, add buffers, let the gases out and the pH stabilize, run an auto-water changer, etc.), sodium thiosulfate is the cheapest way to go, for the rest of up, buying a big jug of liquid dechlor is just way easier and safer for large changes.

Larry Bugg
07-24-2016, 05:02 PM
I think if you are pretreating the water any way (to heat it, add buffers, let the gases out and the pH stabilize, run an auto-water changer, etc.), sodium thiosulfate is the cheapest way to go, for the rest of up, buying a big jug of liquid dechlor is just way easier and safer for large changes.

A big container of Seachem Safe is even cheaper than a big bottle of dechlor.

Larry Bugg
07-24-2016, 05:02 PM

aXio
07-24-2016, 05:06 PM

You beat me to it. Yes just check out Seachem Safe. A large container will last you FOR EVER. They pretty much add water to Safe to make Prime.

York1
07-24-2016, 05:28 PM
Kens fish has safe on sale

Tropical
07-24-2016, 07:21 PM
Considering that messing up on this is the life of your fish, I think I'll stick with prime!

Thanks for the input everyone!

Larry Bugg
07-24-2016, 07:26 PM
Considering that messing up on this is the life of your fish, I think I'll stick with prime!

Thanks for the input everyone!

Save is the concentrated form of Prime. I've use it for years now. Nothing to mess up.

HN1
07-24-2016, 08:42 PM
Think of Safe as powdered Prime. Just add to water...

Tropical
07-24-2016, 09:48 PM
Yes, exactly that's why I'm getting Safe. I meant the diy sodium thiosulfate as a risky/more likely to mess up solution;)

likestofish
07-25-2016, 03:49 PM
Safe is great, my only problem is I need a smaller set of measuring spoons to dose my smaller tanks.

jhw972
07-25-2016, 03:59 PM
You can always cut it back with distilled water and adjust to larger dosages. :)

aXio
07-25-2016, 04:38 PM
Safe is great, my only problem is I need a smaller set of measuring spoons to dose my smaller tanks.

BOOM!

http://www.seachem.com/digital-spoon-scale.php

I kind of laughed at first when Seachem sent those to the store... but they are AWESOME! And for $20 they aren't expensive at all. =)