PDA

View Full Version : Disinfecting aquatic plants for new shrimp tank.

liz3
07-25-2016, 02:10 PM
Hey, i have a 75g planted tank and I'm pulling Christmas mod, red speckled Amazon swords, Marimo balls, and corkscrew vals to put in to a start up 15 g shrimp tank. I want to make an effort to disinfect the plants as best i can before putting then in the clean system.

Is potassium permanganate the best solution? Remind me what the disinfecting ratio is. Does pot. Permanganate kill ich, parasites, and bacterias?

Thanks in advance.

Doing this from my phone while trending 5 children, pardon errors.:P

Tropical
07-26-2016, 02:17 PM
I put all my plants in an alum dip, (you can find Alum at almost every grocery store, it's very cheap. It's by the spices/pickling supplies).

I've not had any plants react badly to it, even the usually "sensitive" ones.

To efficiently and effectively kill snails, limpets, worms, parasites and the like, I do a 1 TB Spoon per gallon of water in a bucket for 2 days. Make sure the plants have light!

Alum lowers the ph drastically and kills almost everything. Make sure to rinse them before planting:)

liz3
09-20-2016, 08:28 AM
Hey, I'm on the hunt for Aluminum today so I can get the process started for moving plants over to my cycled shrimp tank. Will the 1TBSP per gallon also kill snail eggs within 2 days? thanks !

Tropical
09-20-2016, 09:06 AM
Hey, I'm on the hunt for Aluminum today so I can get the process started for moving plants over to my cycled shrimp tank. Will the 1TBSP per gallon also kill snail eggs within 2 days? thanks !

It's in the spices and pickling section in many grocery stores, or on Amazon.com

Yes it is deadly to Snails and eggs, Fisk and shrimp.

liz3
09-21-2016, 02:46 PM
found it, Alum! here I go.... I'll keep you posted. going to do a portion of christmas moss and 1 of my smallest marimo balls to start. two days. want to make sure i know what i'm doing before i throw all my eggs in the 1 basket.