PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing fish

karl
07-26-2016, 07:41 PM
I have always loved African cichlids, and always ended up getting rid of them due to the fighting which made me feel bad ! I picked up a tank again (55) and don't know what to get.
I want colorfull , 4-8 inch mixed species , interesting personality that don't fight . If in the 8 inch range I am aware I will need a larger tank in the future. Or I can just go peacocks and hope they don't fight if I keep no decorations in the tank.

Tropical
07-26-2016, 08:59 PM
I haven't kept any African cichlids, but rainbowfish are pretty cool and grow between 4-6" depending on species. They come in all kinds of colors...

Very peaceful fish too.

Tangfan
07-26-2016, 09:34 PM
If you want a colorful, somewhat peaceful African tank, I'd do an all male peacock and hap tank. There will still be some aggression, but it will be reduced with the absence of females to breed with. Overstocking will also help spread any aggression out and reduce the ability of any of the fish claiming territories. Definitely stay away from Mbuna as they are more aggressive.

Demonfish
07-27-2016, 04:55 PM
No decorations means more fighting, not less. Fill the tank up with "cichlid stones" and there will still be chasing but less damage because most cichlids don't follow once a fish is out of sight. All cichlids are aggressive at some point, though some will limit it to breeding time.

karl
07-27-2016, 09:20 PM
I don't think peacocks will use cichlid stones correct ? I'm definitely going all male peacock, already put cichlid sand in today.

HN1
07-27-2016, 11:20 PM
Use whatever works for your tank to break up line of sight. There will be aggression, but it won't do damage if the "picked on" can escape the view of the "bully".

Tangfan
07-28-2016, 07:03 AM
I don't think peacocks will use cichlid stones correct ? I'm definitely going all male peacock, already put cichlid sand in today.

My full grown Protomelas Taiwan Reef has claimed one of my cichlid stones as his hide out - he actually goes into the stone. Others pop in and out of the other various stones as well as use them to hide behind.