PDA

View Full Version : Undirted tank in planted aquarium now brown algae

madametechie
08-04-2016, 07:14 PM
Hello forum experts!

In June I posted my woes with my planted tank that had cloudy water. Due to the soil coming up through the substrate, I undirted and put in EcoComplete for plants. I have an LED light for plants that I leave on for about 8 hours a day. I do a squirt of Excel daily and 5 ml of iron every other day. 55 gallon aquarium. In addition to the brown algae, all my plants are doing fantastic except for the jungle val. It is fading by the day.

i do a weekly 50% water change.

Any assistance with the algae and jungle val is greatly appreciated. I've added some clay to the substrate to help deliver iron to the roots, but the jungle val doesn't respond to that.

4 angel fish and 3 gouramis.

Thanks!

Leeatl
08-04-2016, 07:43 PM
Vals don't like Excel . My trick is to start with a low , maybe 1/3 dose and gradually increase over a few weeks . Should not be over 1ml per 1 gal anyway so a "squirt " is not a very accurate measurement . My Vals are growing like weeds even with an overdose of Excel/Glut daily . Try some root tabs for the Vals and any other root feeders you may have . And watch it on the iron . Every other day may be too much . Get an iron test kit .

madametechie
08-07-2016, 07:31 PM
Thanks! I'm on it!